Original Xbox needs software update

Hi,

I felt like playing some of my many old Xbox games last night, so fired up my original Xbox (the black brick thing).

Upon boot (before reading disc, etc) it tells me Xbox Live is performing a software update. Then after a second it tells me it can't reach Xbox Live. If I click "OK" (only option), it tries to download again, and the same thing happens.
I did try plugging in to ethernet (wasn't originally), but that didn't work. After some googling, it looks like Xbox Live for the original Xbox has been switched off (http://majornelson.com/2010/02/05/xbox-live-being-discontinued-for-original-xbox-consoles-and-games/).

The problem is this happens before anything else on the console. I can no longer play games, I just get the software update screen.

I tried tweeting @XboxSupport, they sent back a link on how to update Xbox 360s (http://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-360/how-to/update-xbox-360/system-updates).
I figured the "Burn to CD / DVD" option might work, but the link to download only downloads the latest Xbox 360 software. Is there a link to software updates for the original xbox?

I also tried calling Xbox Support, but they said they no longer support the original Xbox & weren't trained in it. They suggested my best option might be to try the forums.

Wondering if anyone knows a way to get around the software update screen (there doesn't seem to be a cancel), or if there might be a location to download the software update from & then manually install.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 262 Applies to:

Unfortunately the original Xbox console is no longer supported. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I realise it's no longer supported, but this is Xbox's fault. Thanks to them expiring software updates (I assume it's a previous update saying that's reached it's expiry date & needs new software), I now have a rather nice black brick & some 60 odd original games that I can no longer play. Without access to the dashboard there's not much you can use it for.

I realise the Xbox Live service for the original Xbox has been switched off, but the thing should still work without it. I'm pretty sure my NES & PlayStation 1 are no longer supported, but they both still work fine & I can still play all my games.

Sorry this didn't help.

since MS no longer supports it, you can try searching on google for "original xbox stuck in update"

note that I can't recommend you try any of the solutions that come up that are relevant.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was going to check my original XBOX console which has Live to see if it had the same problem, but the circuit breaker power cord attached to it tripped...

I have a couple others I can try when I get home. One has never been on Live. The other is the Halo green console which I know has never been on Live, but I'm not sure if it has the Live software installed (I never did, but I don't recall what it shipped with).

The only thing I can think of is unplugging the console and letting it sit for a day or few. I know mine never held its date when unplugged for a day. Resetting the date may bypass the check that's forcing the console to look for an update.

Assuming the date thing doesn't work, your best bet is either an original console off eBay (new they go for $200 or so, used $50) or delve into the corners of The Internet for a solution. I suspect MS's official forums no longer hold any answers.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is 3 years late.. (sorry) but I believe that if you load up a game in your disk drive which was made after Autumn 2004, it will automatically install the latest update for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there

Welcome to the forums

Unfortunately this post is old and is more then likely answered now. Please be sure to post on the newer threads that are out their and to check the dates stamped at the top of the posts and the original thread. This is also against the forums Code of Conduct as it is bringing posts back from the dead, which is then wasting space for newer threads and knocking them down. I know it only seems a small space, but if everyone was doing it. Threads will be knocked down faster. Meaning longer support for those people that actually need it.

I also have a link for you to read. It is how to use these forums, and has all of the information that you will need to read.

forums.xbox.com/.../509841.aspx

Hope you continue to help others in the forums, it is fun once you know the rules

Regards,

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Article Author | Windows & Xbox Insider

Sorry this didn't help.