Original Xbox Gamertags

Plain and simple, are they still resetting them? I keep the Gamertag I want on my profile with a friend request, but I have been waiting for months with no luck. Does anyone have any information?

Discussion Info

Last updated November 14, 2018 Views 364 Applies to:

What I've read here was, MS stopped releasing them because some people were selling them, so they stopped.  But that's only what I've read.  It's far from an official answer.

It sucks how some people ruined a good thing. I still see lame gamertags on sale on ebay.

Wait, what's going on? I'm not sure what you all are referring to with this.

[quote user="Lil Frier"]

Wait, what's going on? I'm not sure what you all are referring to with this.

[/quote]

Microsoft reset some Gamertags that had been inactive from the original Xbox, though people quickly started to make accounts to fill these names up again. Names freed up were stuff like 'Dictionary', and people made Silver accounts so they could claim the tag, and then sell it on eBay. Pathetic yet true.

Haha, that's pretty stupid. I've had mine since 2003 and migrated to 360 pretty early on.

And doing that results in a banned gamertag (gamertags cannot be sold), so there was no real point to releasing tags. Banned tags are never removed from the system, same as gamertags that are abandoned. Why bother releasing them?

I think they are still freeing up old GT's albeit very slowly. I changed to my current one fairly recently which was tied to 0G Silver acct for about 4 years.

I just kept checking to see if it was available every so often and got lucky I guess. Other than that there's no other way to check that I know of.

I just beat everyone to this one. I actually had a choice between "Kinectimals" and "Kinectimal". I went with the latter as "Kinectimals" sounds like I'm more then one person. Funny thing is, the guy who got "Kinectimals" was selling the tag.