Original Xbox 360 not reading ANY hard drive

I bought an extra hard drive for my xbox and I kinda guessed it would be trouble from the start. The seller tried to label it as 20 GB, and after configuring it and clearing up about 3 GB of invisible space (I say that because there apparently was nothing on it. I'm assuming now the person never cleared the system cache after deleting everything) to its original 16 GB, I got a few error messages that read to the effect that it hadn't been set up properly from the start. I also bought a used transfer cable along with it, but as far as I can tell they're both legitimate Microsoft hardware.

So I moved a few things over to the new hard drive with no fuss besides one message saying I'd might have to redownload the licenses for the data. However, I tried testing out moving my profile between the two drives and had some problems logging in (may have been tied to my iffy modem connection) so I disconnected the new drive from the transfer cable. About a week later I decided to try to switch the drives again. I honestly cannot remember if I did manage to turn off the xbox first before yanking out a the drive, though I remember attempting to a second before I pulled it out. When I tried to access the drive through the memory screen, it couldn't be read. I tried both drives and nothing. Then I tried accessing them both from the transfer cables and found they both work. My question is twofold: is there any hope of fixing this without turning my 360 in for repairs, and how much will a repair run me. Last time I sent it in to fix the Red Ring of Death it cost me almost 300. Though it;ll be annoying no doubt, I don't think it'd be worth that much to get my game data back. The only real problem is the new DLC i just bought and downloaded to that drive, but buying more points and a new transfer cable is honestly looking like a preferable option.

Sidenote: There's also been a problem with the disc tray opening at times. I also think I may have yanked out the hard drive without turning off the xbox before this, but this is the first time this problem occured.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

It tells us in the manual that came with the console to NOT disconnect the hard drive while the unit is turned on. I am assuming you bought this hard drive USED? If so it is always buyer beware. It is recommended to always buy brand new from a reputable retailer, either online or in a shop.

To be perfectly honest you could buy a brand new official MS hard drive for less than the cost of a repair. I would look into that if I were in your situation. Then I would look at getting an official MS transfer cable. You can tell if the one you have is an official MS one by looking at: store.microsoft.com/.../4A629AA4.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Both pieces of hardware have the microsoft label, with the brand clearly etched into the transfer cable - so I'm assuming that's not the problem, at least with the cable. As I said, the problem isn't with the hard drive itself. I tested both out with the transfer cable, the only reason I can't access my original is because it's not configured. I'm not willing to erase all my data if there's still a chance I can save it. The issue here is that the main hard drive port will NOT read any hard drive. And like I also said before, I did accidentally do this before (actually worse because I did technically push the power button this time) with no negative effects, and have seen it done on other 360s. Of course, I never intended to wantonly wrench the drive off the xbox at any point, but this is the first I've heard of something this severe happening.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.