Original X360 won't turn on -- support walkthrough useless

My kids' original X360 will not turn on.  They played it for about 2 hours yesterday, turned it off, and now it won't turn back on.  It was not hit, bumped, dropped, etc., and sits on an open shelf with plenty of air circulation.  Do not just recommend and link to the support walkthrough, as it is useless without a 2nd power supply to try.  I do not have access to another power supply (my kids' friends have the x360 slim).

Background:

• We've had the console since Christmas 2007, so it is very much out of warranty. 
  • It has been plugged into the same outlet for all these years and has worked fine.
  • The power supply light has been orange for at least 4 months with no problems.

The console will not turn on from the controller, the power button, or the eject button.  It acts as if there is no power getting to the console at all.  The power supply light is a solid orange no matter what outlet I plug it into.  There were no red lights on the light ring prior to turning it off -- never has had red lights in all these years.  If I had access to a 2nd power supply, I would try that, but I don't.

Is there anything else I should look at?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

Hi,

-

You could try disconnecting every cable from the console, let it stand for thirty minutes or so and then connect it all back up and give it a try.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It quit working yesterday and has been off since then.  I tried turning it back on today, and it still won't work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Has the console been disconnected from the mains supply with the power supply disconnected from the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep.  I just plugged it back together to test it a short while ago with no change.  Even before I disconnected the power supply, it was cool to the touch, as was the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems like you've tried everything, time to arrange a repair by the looks of things.

Sorry this didn't help.

For a non-warrantied Xbox360?  I wonder if there's any way I can fix it myself?  I'm not sure I want to pay them $100+ to fix this dinosaur when I can get a used Slim for less than $200...

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion of self repair is not permitted on the forum, however if you were to open up your console and repair it then there is a very good chance that you could find the console banned from ever using Xbox live again in any way.

As you say it may be time to upgrade to the newer S console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Seriously???  I can understand not discussing self-repair, but we're not allowed to fix things ourselves, else we get banned from Xbox Live??  What a racket they're running!

Sorry this didn't help.

Taken from the terms of use we all agreed to when we signed up for Xbox Live.

-

12.  Service Operation and Equipment.

The Service may only be accessed with an Authorized Device or by logging into your account via Xbox.com. You agree that you are using only authorized software and hardware to access the Service, that your software and hardware have not been modified in any unauthorized way (e.g., through unauthorized repairs, unauthorized upgrades, or unauthorized downloads), and that we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Sorry this didn't help.