Optional Media Update.

Hi, my friend is trying to watch a video file from a USB drive but it says he needs the update.  Is there a way to get the update without being connected to live.

Cheers

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

No, I don't think so.  Only system updates can be obtained offline.

No, the media update has to be downloaded online, I had to redownload it after doing a HDD to HDD transfer, even after a license migration was completed

Cheers for the replys, he will just have to wait until he gets broadband.  Cheers again.

well it might be possible for your friend to download the content on your console via his profile and put it onto a usb stick.that might work

[quote user="Viral Cyrix"]well it might be possible for your friend to download the content on your console via his profile and put it onto a usb stick.that might work[/quote]That's wont work either. The console license, the thing which would let the Update be used offline, would belong to the OPs console and not his friend's.

Unless his friend gets broadband the only solution is for him to bring his entire console around to the OPs house or re-encode the video to a format the 360 natively understands. 

Another solution would be to stream the content from his PC by means of a program like PS3 Media Server. 

At the moment he is getting my brothers PS3 to watch the video and it is going back and forward between their houses about three times a week, so bringing his console to mine once would be better.  I will let him know the options.  Cheers for the help.

Yes you can.. if your friend has a smartphone recently newish he can set up tethering his mobile to live and download that way.