Optical Surround on the Xbox One? When?

Hi.
I own a Tritton Warhead, and I would really like to be able to use surround in my headset on the Xbox One.

But since the Xbox One doesn't support surround via the optical port (yet) I'm left with a really expensive surround headset that only receives stereo.
I've read on the internet that a update is coming, that should enable surround via the optical port.
Is there any estimate to when we will have that update?
Stereo is so 1980s, and we are in the year 2013.

How on earth can Microsoft send out a product that has a optical port that only does stereo?

And a side question:
Will the Xbox One support minor system updates, or will it be like a fall update every year like the 360?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Hi BuBubbi.  I certainly hope MS has a fix for DD support forthcoming very soon.  And when I say soon, I mean within the next week or so.  As I mentioned in a previous post of mine, I live in a condo building which enforces quiet time at 10pm.  Since I work in the IT profession, my hours can be long and once I get home, I have very little time to play or watch tv with the use of my surround sound system.  Therefore I have always been availing of my Turtle Beach cans for times after 10pm.  Plus, my living room is on the opposite side of the wall of my master bedroom.  Hence, I need to turn the sound down or off once my wife goes to bed (which sometimes is before 10pm).  Therefore my X1 has mostly been collecting dust since launch.  Sure, my headphones still receive sound, but it's not in surround.  And since DD has been mainstream for many, many years, I don't understand how or why MS left this miniscule feature out.  In any case, I am searching for a PS4 now as it does support DD.  If I am able to find one before a DD fix is rolled out by MS, I will be joining the PS family and someone will be getting a good deal on a new X1.  It's sad really.  I've been an Xbox fan since the launch of the 360.  But I need to be able to use my headphones.  The other thing that baffles me is the fact that chat will not work on any headset designed for the 360.  How is that?  Wireless signal is wireless signal.  How or why would they change the way the device communicates with the console?  Probably the same reason they say the 360 controllers won't work on the X1.  To force players to buy new accessories and hence, increase the profit margin of companies such as MS and Turtle Beach, etc.  Upgrading to the new controller and/or headphones (when they are released) should be optional, not mandatory!  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cannot answer for Microsoft but usually patches do take at least a few weeks to a few months to rollout. Not only does it include the fixes or updates to make things better it also has to be field tested to make sure it does not break something else. There is no perfection in software updates - just takes time and testing.

I currently work for a Dodge dealership and when we report software issues it usually takes an average of 3 months until we see an update. I am hoping it does not take this long - usually they will fix the critical things first.

Sorry this didn't help.

It actually does support great 5.1 surround with optical threw the DTS Digital surround option.  DTS is actually better then dolby but alot of headsets dont support DTS.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm anxiously awaiting the DD 5.1 optical audio patch too.

Sorry this didn't help.

Fix this MS!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Only a few days before Christmas, and I was really hoping that MS would release a patch to at least add DD support through the optical port.  How hard can this be MS??  Seriously?  It's sound decoding using an industry standard codec.  Pay your licensing fees to Dolby Labs and let's get on with it!  Enuf us enuf already.  I want to hear surround in my expensive Turtle Beach cans.  Not some simple stereo signal!  That reminds me, I have to go make a note of something on my stone tablet..... ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

This irks me as well. It's alarming that they haven't figured out how to have 5.1 DD through the optical cable yet. It sucks I have to actually revert back to my xbox 360 for 5.1 sound. Good thing I spent over 600 bucks on this thing, huh? This unit has potential, and I am glad I bought it.... but having these sorts of issues remain this long after launch is incredibly poor. The system should not have been launched without these basic type features.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wonder if there is a decent but relatively inexpensive device to extract Dolby surround to SPDIF from an HDMI signal.  I've seen a few online but I'm not sure how well they work...  I'm thinking I could use it for the Xbone  until Microsoft gets their act together on the Dolby,  then if I ever get a Wii-U I would have use for it there since that system doesn't even have an optical port.  Does anybody have experience with any of these devices?            

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Tritton AX 720, so I'm also waiting for DD support on optical out.

Hurry up Microsoft, my PS4 already supports it and that is exactly the reason, why I use it more.

Regarding the HDMI to SPDIF converter ... it won't work with the WiiU. I researched that, because I also was interested in such a device. I fear it would be the same with the One.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a chance to force Major Nelson asking for DD5.1 optical update BEFORE next big patch (it will come too much later)?

It's ridiculous and somehow a scandal to me not supporting one basic audio output type like this...

Sorry this didn't help.