One month old 360, freezing up all the time.

Hi all, can't understand why this is happening but whilst playing games my 360 just randomly freezes up. It does it with games on and off of the hard drive. Skyrim I downloaded so that's on the HDD, that freezes up at any given time. F1 2012 is not installed on my HDD but that has also started to freeze up on me. It did it about 5 minutes ago which has brought me here looking for answers. It also does it a lot when playing Minecraft. 

The whole console just freezes and the only way to turn it off is by pressing the on/off button and even that sometimes doesn't respond. I've read somewhere it's more prone to freezing up if you have it standing? Any facts in that statement? as I have mine standing up.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Do you noticed your xbox or power unit heating up more than the usual? The freezing can be due to that.

Try placing your console and power unit in a more ventilated area.

If this doens´t help, you may need to send your console to be repaired. Contact Xbox using this link :

support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply. As far as I'm aware, the console next to a window on top of a small unit should be all the ventilation it needs, it's not in any way concealed. For this reason I can't see it being because it's over heating. Granted I do play quite a few hours a day but it gets all the cool air I suspect it needs. I've laid it flat on it's side, so far it's not froze again but only time will tell as there is no set pattern to it misbehaving.

Sorry this didn't help.

If the Xbox is not in an enclosed space, it may be overheating due to excessive dust build-up.

And yes, the standing position is more prone to overheating due to the airflow being restricted by the vent on the left of the unit being turned towards the ground. I would suggest using a can of compressed air to try and clean out your system and also use it in the horizontal orientation to see if it relieves your issues.

In either case, your issues definitely sound like overheating related problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said in the title, my 360 is a month old. There is no build up of dust in there. The vent being covered up whilst vertical though is interesting. As stated in my last post I've now placed it in a horizontal fashion. So far so good as I've not had any freezes/lockups. But only time will tell.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Lemon! If you only got it a month ago you could try taking it back to the retailer and just getting a replacement there. This would be the fastest and easiest method for replacement. Let us know if that helps, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Whilst I thank you for replying Mister, no your answer didn't help. In fact your post came across as though you couldn't be bothered to help so just fobbed me off telling me to take it back to the retailer, classy from an official Support rep. If I'd of thought it warranted a return to the shop I'd of taken it without posting on here.

Back on topic, I've had it horizontal now since my OP and it's not once froze on me. Must be some kind of design flaw and having it vertical makes it struggle dispersing heat.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a quick update. I've not had any problems since my last post up until 5 minutes ago. My 360 froze again on F1 2012. It seems to only freeze when autosaving. I've just cleard the cache, I'm hoping that will have sorted it out. If not, do you guys think it might be a dodgy HDD?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Scouse, honestly it might be the HDD.  A good way to test that will be to remove the hard drive from the system, and play it using USB memory for a bit.  If your console does work with the hard drive out, you can then try putting it back- sometimes removing and reinstalling it can help clear up issues as well.  You can also try the hard drive in another system, to see if that system then starts experiencing the issues.

(To be honest, though, I do agree with Mister Gwyther, and would recommend an exchange if that's still an option for you.  Most long-term freezing issues with consoles do eventually need to be sent to us for a repair.  If there is a way for you to exchange it with the retailer, that's generally going to be a much quicker process.) 

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay that's great, thank you for your reply. I've had no problems with it since I cleared the cache but as before, only time will tell. If it does it again I'll try removing the HDD and see if that helps. If it does it again after that it's going back to the shop :)

Thank you all for your help, suggestions and comments. Hope you all had a great new year :)

Sorry this didn't help.

its made my microwsoft get use to it. never used windows?

Sorry this didn't help.