On and off Xbox Live Connections

We recently got Xfinity internet service at our house and now every time I try to connect me Xbox to the Wi-Fi it either has a medium-low connection or doesn't connect at all.

I don't see the problem, because on our computers and other devices the internet works fine.

Its a weird on and off sometimes thing. I don't understand this problem.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hey there Branden! I understand you are having some difficulty connecting your console to your home Wi-Fi network. Can you describe your setup a little bit. How far away is the wireless access point from your console and are there a lot of walls or large metal objects in the way? Are there many other wireless devices being used in your home, such as bluetooth or mobile devices? Just for testing purposes, can you try moving the console closer to the access point to see if that improves your connection.

Also, when you experience issues with your console, are there many other devices using the network as well? Try removing some of the other devices from the network and try again with just your Xbox console. Does this seem to improve your connection at all?

Finally, just to cover all the bases, could you please go to http://speedtest.net on a computer on the same network as your console, take the test there, and post the result image back here. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, my Xbox is in the basement and the Wireless Access point is 2 levels up. Yes, we have a couple computers, iPods and phones being used, but when I play, its mostly at night when everything is mostly off. I'll try moving the console to my room to see if that improves the connectivity.

And I'm almost 100% sure its not the Xbox because before we got Xfinity, we had AT&T and it worked fine.

One example of my problems are when I'm playing COD I look at my signal levels and they go up.......and down.....and up...and down...Its really frustrating because I don't get it...

Sorry this didn't help.

I can understand that this would be really frustrating for you. Definitely try moving closer to the access point to see if that helps, as well as trying a wired connection to see what happens. These tests will tell us where the issues really lies and we can hopefully figure out what to try next after that.

Also, please do post back with the http://speedtest.net results just so we can rule that out. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I moved closer to the access point and the signal filled up. But the Xbox still wont connect to the Wi-Fi...

Sorry this didn't help.

Now the connections are really unstable. I have to go through a trial and error reconnect process every time i turn my Xbox on. The signals go up and down and Its frustrating. Im gonna have my Mom call a technician to come check it out...

Sorry this didn't help.

So the signal improved, but now you cannot connect to the Wi-Fi at all, is that correct? If you haven't already, try powering off the modem and router, and also try resetting your console's network settings. Steps for that are below. Let me know if this helps, thanks!

1. Turn off the Xbox 360 console.
  2. If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, unplug it from your console.
  3. Turn on the console.
  4. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
  5. Select Network Settings.
  6. Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.
  7. Select Configure Network.
  8. On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults
  9. Turn off your console.
  10. If you were using an Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, plug it back into the USB port.
  11. Turn on the console.
    Wireless connection only: You will receive a message to configure wireless settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to your wireless network.
  12. Test your Xbox LIVE connection. To do this, press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings. Select Network Settings, select Wired Network or your wireless network name (if you are prompted to do so), and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

Sorry this didn't help.