Oldest gamer???

My step father at the tender age of 72 has just picked up the gamer pad for the first time and got gaming..... and he LOVES it.   So, my question to all you lot is this... Any more of you guys got any family members of a maturish age who like to game.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 21 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sadly no, but in 30 years there will be a lot. People that grew up with gaming and helped make it popular will grow old with it.

I started playing when I was 4. I am now 40. If I am still alive in my 70's I'm sure I will be gaming if I am able. I'm sure there are millions more just like me.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

That's awesome!

My dad is 60 and he plays Xbox One daily.

I once met an 88-year old gamer. ;)

Not that old yet lol. Just a bit older than brandiesel but I do have a friend on Live who is 77.

IMO, "gaming" hit its first critical mass around 1980-81 when many of the big Atari games hit the arcades.  Up until then, gaming was a niche activity, as a lot of homes still didn't have computers.  Pinball had been big since the 70's, but ask anyone who grew up in the 80's and they'll tell you that's when people started blowing paper route money like it was going out of style.  Once these big titles started migrating into the home on Atari consoles, it exploded.

Like the "baby boomers", those first gen gamers represent the tip of the spear as far as aging gamers now.  They're probably between the ages of 40 and 55 right now (although there are still examples of players much older, since some of them might have had some experience on early computer games long before the 80's).  In 20 years you'll probably start seeing game consoles starting to appear in retirement homes!  Probably a good thing, since games at least engage the mind a lot more than passive entertainment like TV shows.

Yep I was there in the arcades at the vanguard of video gaming!  

My mom is in her 70's. She plays World of Warcraft and has a Steam account with probably 200 plus games (adventure, hidden object, match 3, etc). Facebook turned her into a gamer, she started with Farmville, Words with Friends and moved on to the non-browser based games.

I don't see most of that generation making the jump to the console because of the controller. The keyboard and mouse is familiar to them but the controller is very alien.

[quote user="Randvrr"]

I don't see most of that generation making the jump to the console because of the controller. The keyboard and mouse is familiar to them but the controller is very alien.

[/quote]

Consoles have been around since before you were born.

Just like you aren't keen to embrace console controls because you grew up playing your video games on the PC... Those of "that generation" who grew up playing on consoles are going to prefer the control pads they grew up with rather than swap to keyboard and mouse.

43 (44? meh) and I am 100% at home with a Controller of some type. This isn't saying I can't use a KB/ Mouse but it will feel 100% alien when trying to play Games with it. I have no idea where PC Players get their bias from but since 1984 I've been hearing the same, lame arguments. I guess some people just can't understand.

@Azrael

Consoles have been around since before you were born.

I'm apparently older than you think I am. My brother and I had the first commercially available console....much to my dad's dismay.