Old Xbox Live membership

I've had an old Xbox Live gamertag for years and and used it off line.  I made it when the 360 first came out and I don't think there was even a Windows Live ID set-up at the time.  It's never been and issue since I don't usually get on line with the system.  However, I recently bought a wireless connection in the hopes of downloading software updates and game updates (Mass Effect 3 changes especially).  I can't get of Xbox Live with my old gamertag because I have never set up a Windows Live ID for it and don't believe I have a password or have long since forgotten it.  Is there any way to revive this gamertag or am I doomed to make a new one and loose all the progress I've made over the years.  Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

you can create a windows live ID, and add it to you acc..

(as per support section):

1.Sign in using your Xbox LIVE gamertag.

2.Go to Settings, and then select Account.

3.Go to Your Information, and then select Windows Live ID.

4.Select Change Windows Live ID.

(a)Do one of the following:

If you have another Windows Live ID, select Yes.

If you do not have another Windows Live ID, go to Windows Live Sign In and click Sign up. Once you have another Windows Live ID, select Yes and continue with the next step.

(b)Note Your Microsoft Points balance will automatically be transferred to the new Windows Live ID.

.the password for the Windows Live ID that is currently associated with your gamertag, and then select Sign in.

6.Enter the email address and the password for the new Windows Live ID that you want to associate with your gamertag, and then select Sign in.

7.Select Yes, change to change the Windows Live ID associated with your Xbox LIVE account.

8.Select Update Contact Information to update your contact information or Done to finish.

(here is a link to the page for more visual help)

support.xbox.com/.../manage-live-id

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't see how you could have done that: when I made up my account in October, 2003, I had to make a WLID and password.  Nevertheless, your accout is probably still around....I say "probably" because back in 2009 there was a statement that MS was planning on deleting accounts from the old Xbox days that had not been used in some time.  However, there was never any specifics given.  The only think I can think of (in addition to viper's advice) is to call support and go thru their dreaded account verification process.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.