Old style Xbox's 120-gig HDD problem...

So I just picked up a refurbished 120 gigabyte HDD from EB Games (Gamestop in the US for those who don't know), and for whatever reason it's not showing '120 gigs free' when I bring up the memory screen. I have the old school Xbox360, although it's been sent in for repairs twice before and might have different/refurbished technology in it, I'm not sure. 

So quick example, when I first plugged it in it only showed 13 gigs free of the supposed 120. I tried installing Rage, which needs something like 22 gigabytes of room, and it worked fine; but when I tried to install Dead Space 2, which only needs 6.3 gigabytes to install and should have fit on the HDD right along side Rage, it said there wasn't enough room. At this point the memory screen seemed to think there was only 4 gigabytes free.

So, again, this is a used and refurbished HDD from EB Games; should I take it up with them, or is this a problem relating to the old consoles? I'd like to know. Battlefield 3 is coming up fast and I can't live without doing its HD install to my console. :P

All feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Exchange it at GameStop. That's not how 120GB HDDs should behave on a 360.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The reason why you are seeing 13GB free is because someone had formatted the hard drive incorrectly. Your Xbox is seeing the hard drive as more of a memory unit than a hard drive. Bringing the hard drive back is the best idea!

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Roco06"]The reason why you are seeing 13GB free is because someone had formatted the hard drive incorrectly. Your Xbox is seeing the hard drive as more of a memory unit than a hard drive.[/quote]No, the 360 is seeing it as a HDD if it is being accessed via the HDD interface on the console.

It may be a 20GB drive in a 120GB shell, but it's got enough on it to be recognized as a HDD to the 360. Formatting it as a USB MU destroys all of that.

Sorry this didn't help.