Old Hdd on new xbox s

So I got an old hdd for my birthday and was wondering if there is anyway of using it with the new xbox legally? Cause the guy at gamestop said I could take it apart..and obviously thats not true! Is there anything I could do or just sell it and get one for my xbox?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hello Unisaurus13! No please don't listen to the guys at GameStop! Taking apart an Original Xbox 360 Hard Drive for use in the New 360 S goes against the Terms of use and can lead to a console ban, the best thing is to try and sell the hard drive on like craigslist, and buy a new hard drive thats made for the new S console.

-

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/4558.aspx Please refer to this link on what I said about the terms of use!

I hope this helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please don't listen to the guy at Gamestop, or take anything apart. He's wrong.

This is from the terms of use, and likely applies to your question, though you don't say if the hard drive is 3rd party. Even if it's not 3rd party, I wouldn't recommend opening up your console.:

14. Service Operation and Equipment.

You may only access the Service with an Authorized Device or by logging into your account via the World Wide Web. You agree that: (i) you are using only authorized software and hardware to access the Service; (ii) your software and hardware have not been modified in any unauthorized way (e.g., through unauthorized repairs, unauthorized upgrades, or unauthorized downloads); and (iii) we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification.  You must not attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware associated with the Service or with an Authorized Device. If you do so, we may cancel your account and your ability to access the Service, and pursue other legal remedies.  We may take any legal action we deems appropriate against users who violate our systems or network security, this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract. Such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

We reserve complete and sole discretion with respect to the operation of the Service. We may, among other things: (i) restrict or limit access to the Service; (ii) retrieve information from the Authorized Device and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Service as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Service, and to enforce this contract; and (iii) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service, any game or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an Authorized Device, from time to time without notice. We may do so by the automatic download of related software directly to your Authorized Device, including software that prevents you from accessing the Service, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

Terms Of Use: www.xbox.com/.../livetou

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Unisaurus13"]So I got an old hdd for my birthday and was wondering if there is anyway of using it with the new xbox legally?[/quote]It's not a legal issue. It's a Terms of Use issue.[quote]or just sell it and get one for my xbox?[/quote]If it a new 250GB drive in retail packaging, you should be able to sell it for around the same price as a 250GB 360 S HDD.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

It's not a legal issue. It's a Terms of Use issue.

[/quote] It can be a legal issue.

Taken from Mister Gwyther's Original Post

From the Terms of Use:

12.  Service Operation and Equipment.

Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft.  Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Sorry this didn't help.

talking about modding hard drives to be used in the 360 is not allowed here, you cannot put the old style drive in a new style slim without violating the terms of use.

Sorry this didn't help.

killer443226, you are incorrect. Modding the drive is a bannable offense as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Unisaurus13"]

So I got an old hdd for my birthday and was wondering if there is anyway of using it with the new xbox legally? Cause the guy at gamestop said I could take it apart..and obviously thats not true! Is there anything I could do or just sell it and get one for my xbox?

[/quote]

You could take it and trade it in for the slim model hard drive, provided you have the old 360 original external hdd.    Could also ask the person who got you the hdd to exchange it.

But opening it up will not do much anyway, except a ban for system tampering.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know new egg sells empty HDD Slim shells for this exact problem actually but not sure if legal.  I would do as other people suggested.   Not sure if its compatible with the model you have www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not a legal issue. There's no criminal statue to cover it. That Microsoft states they may take legal action is a civil matter. It would require the courts to rule in MS's favor for it to have legal precident, something I'm not aware of happening in the past.

It's prohibited as per the Terms of Use. That's all that matters. MS isn't going to waste legal resources on one person, they'll just ban the console if the tampering is detected.

Sorry this didn't help.