Obsessive bragging over TV setup

Can anyone answer this question for me:

Why are people so obsessed with bragging about their television/Xbox setup? You play games just as well with 2GB as you do with 250GB, and 480p with 1080p. Is it an ego thing? And does anyone care?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Seems you posted this id assume you care to a degree. So i guess that answers your question?

Some people get excited when they get a new tv and like to tell us about it. Is it bragging or boasting? Maybe a little, but I don't mind. I don't mind seeing what other people game on.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

1080p is better than 480p but most of the rest is down to preference I think.  Needy people have more to say about their stuff than other folk in general but at the same time a healthy pissing contest is good.  It's not bragging to talk about an entertainment system in context with other people who want to do the same, it's a way to learn.  Bragging is when people talk about things they own or things they've done with others who don't really want to hear about it so maybe you're just sticking your nose in or maybe you are hearing bragging, what do you mean exactly; is a friend having a go at you?  You could be intolerant of others you know or maybe you just want to talk about bragging, let us know.

I care to a certain extent, but what I care about is this: why? I could care less whether or not they had a black and white television or a 1080p 3D HDTV the size of a wall.

They care. that's the point.  They have a strong interest and want to discuss it which means they're forming groups.  With most groups there is an amount of negative overspill which grows to allow the group to gel while rejecting others.  It's not required but people do like to bloody themselves.  Maybe you've been caught in this overspill which is why you have such a negative opinion of people who talk about their gaming rigs.  Gamers' groups can have a high level of negative overspill because they tend to be less physically active and have been marginalised.

''Gamers' groups can have a high level of negative overspill because they tend to be less physically active and have been marginalised.''

Eh? i play sports and exercise yet i still could be seen as grumpy due to my dislike for a lot of traits of modern day games and gamer.

That last line makes little sense.

I'm not talking about them being miserable as individuals for various personal reasons, I'm talking about how people act as groups and the trait I mentioned is well noticed and often portrayed in media as a way gamers express.  

So because the media uses it you buy into it?

ah ok i see now.

If you want to use stereotypes then your in a weak position given your a gamer and a comic book fan.  

No but gamers are heavily influenced by media because they have greater exposure to it than non-gamers in general.

Again that's subjective...