Nov 15th 2001

Not many people know what that day is. I do. I remember it well. It was the day that Xbox live was launched. I have had NUMEROUS Xbox live accounts from then and now, this one being one of the longest ones. Now let me tell you a story that is making Xbox loose one of its longest, most loyal customers.

The morning of August 4th 2011, I had received a text message from my credit card statement saying that unusual charges had been processed on my account. I immediately logged into my account to find out what it was. Numerous Charges from Xbox Live for multiple $74.99 and $49.99 charges. I immediately called my credit card company and told them that my card was compromised and they had locked the account but the damage had already been done. Right after I got off the phone with the Credit card people, I phoned up Xbox. The lady that I had talked to seemed like she really cared and had a story about how xbl account was also hacked and fraud charged as well. She said that she had started the Fraudulent Charge Claim or whatever it is that they have to do, and it will get investigated and I would get my money back within 21 days.

The Evening of August 25th, 2011 I had called up Xbox again because I had not received my refund nor was my account playable yet. So I had talked to a guy, he accessed my account, and what he told me next infuriated me. It had seemed that the lady that had first opened my ticket to get the process going, NEVER DID IT. So he then informed me that he would do it for me right then and there. He asked me a bunch of questions the first lady never did, he had all the paper work filed out and everything, and I had asked that if there was some way of getting it expedited because I had already waited 21 days which is what the first lady I called had told me. He put me on hold to talk to a supervisor, then came back and informed me that the supervisor had given him the go ahead to get it fast tracked to the investigation unit right away. I was told that I will be playing Xbox Live in 7 days or less.

Afternoon of September 1st, 2011. I was still not able to connect to live on my account. I called up Xbox more irratated then before, talked to a lady, and she had informed me that there was no way that she can tell me how long the investigation will take, xbox was hacked blah blah blah, they are really behind because so many people had their accounts hacked in the past month so it is taking longer then usual. She tells me to call back in 2-3 more days to see if there are any updates. Really?

Evening of Septemeber 4th, I am beyond pissed now. It has been 1 month that my account was hacked and fraud charges were made with my xbox live account. And not only that, XBOX BILLS ME FOR A MONTH OF LIVE!!!! EVEN THOUGH MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN LOCKED THE ENTIRE TIME!!!!!!! So when I get on the phone, the gentlemen tells me "Before I can access your account, we will need you to add a valid credit card to your file for billing" Im like.. Are you kidding? I havent been able to play since last month and you still want to charge me for the time my account has been locked? So I add it, just to get my updates on my investigation. And what answer do I get? Call back in 2 days and see if there is any updates..........

Evening of September 7th. My last phone call to Xbox. I get on the phone, the sweetest sounding lady gets on the phone, and before she can even say anything, I snap at her and tell her to get me a supervisor ( I felt bad afterwards, but it got out of hand with micro$oft) After being on hold for 30 minutes, A supervisor gets on the phone, and he tells me that unfortunetly there is nothing new on the account, and then he tells me that the ticket was opened up on the 1st of September and that is takes up to 22 days from that day. UMM WHAT?!? He gets an ear full. He then goes into my account, and blames the first lady that I talk to because she never started it right, and then come to find out when I had called on the 25th, That guy didnt get my correct console ID number or something even thought he said that it was the correct one. So i had to get my console number AGAIN to them, WHICH WAS THE SAME NUMBER THEY HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE, and that now the investigation service people can now start my investigation. I am furious at this point. I just hang up the phone.

HEY XBOX, IF I CANNOT LOG ON TO MY XBOX LIVE ACCOUNT (YES, THIS ONE THAT YOU HAVE CHARGED ME FOR 2 MONTHS FOR WHILE ITS BEEN LOCKED!!!) BY SEPTEMBER 22ND, I WILL BE CANCELLING MY ACCOUNT, FILING A CLAIM DISPUTE WITH MICROSOFT FOR CREDIT CARD FRAUD, AND THEN FILE A BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU COMPLAINT AGAINST XBOX. GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.

I have been a XBOX live subscriber for almost 10 years straight, and this is how micro$oft pays me back.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

The Xbox Data was never hacked.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Xbox Live was in fact introduced on November 15th 2002, not 2001.  It was the Xbox console itself that was released on the date you mentioned.....but I digress.

If Xbox was "hacked" in August, why did everyone only hear about the Playstation Network hack?  The FACT is, there was NO Xbox hack in August. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hate to say it, but that rep is likely wrong. You're trolling at this point, so I will say this once. You screwed up. Be an adult and admit it. You screwed up the day you connected and expected any kind of security from an internet connected device. I don't care about your story, there are many holes in it. How about packet sniffing, phishing from public hotspots with DNS poisoning, or any other number of security aspects that I can't even fathom as it's not my field. You connect a computer to another computer, it is therefore unsecure. WIth any electronic device. Troll on elsewhere.

Sorry this didn't help.

MS was not hacked. The situation must have been that your account was poor account security like phishing sites or personal information sharing. You might have not even known about it. At this point your best solution is to call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and ask them why you are being charged for a locked account and if necessary, get it cancelled.

Sorry this didn't help.

The representative that I talk ed to on the phone had told me that the xbox database had been hacked in august. And like I said before, I never use the same username/pw combo for anything, and my passwords are padded as well. I do not own a PS3 and never will. Have always been a xbox player since it was released.

Sorry this didn't help.

If MS was hacked, you'd hear about it. What is likely happening is that people use the same information on the PSN and poor account security, accounts are easily attackable at this point. Your situation may not fit the mold, but to call a sensationalist title into it is ridiculous.

Sorry this didn't help.

Good account security? Are you kidding me? MICROSOFT WAS HACKED! Hence why they are FLOODED this month with people that have been hacked and compromised right? I never use the same password for anything, everyone of my password is over 12 character's long and padded. I run 2 different virus scan, keylog scanners and rootkit scanners a day. So you might be able to pull that "Oh its your fault you were hacked" with someone else, but not me.

Sorry this didn't help.

You do realize this wouldn't be an issue for you right now if you practiced good account security, not just with your XBL account but with all accounts you use on the internet.

Threatening MS will not make them work any faster. While your situation is unfortunate all you can do at this point is wait it out.

Sorry this didn't help.