Not sure why my name is profane

Was trying to set up a clan tag in Black Ops and everything I tried was denied due to profanity. Found out the name "Dave" is restricted. Looking for some clarification as to why. Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 27 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey guys! While I don't have an answer for you directly, I just wanted to let you know I'm going to escalate this question and I will post back when I get an answer. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The reason why is very simple. The filter is broken. As I said above I am working very hard to find out the correct people/group responsible. This however is not an easy task as the GT/player input filter is just something that no one knows about and no one ever thought anyone would have a valad complaint against it. But now they broke it and many....MANY people are surfacing with valid issues with this filter.

I do encourage you all to follow the threads that I posted above. Those are the threads that I am updating with info on this issue as I find it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having this problem. I have not been able to have a clan tag since Dec of 2010. I have called Xbox about this and am told that I have to call the makers of the game. When I call them I am sent back to xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh I almost forgot:

The idea that "Dave" in a GT or bio will cause it to automatically be denied is not true. No one knows it is your real name and therefore is not a violation on the TOU/COC unless you indicate somehow in some logical fashon that it is your real name. Only if you say (or in some way indicate) it is your real name will you be in violaion of the TOU/COC.

For all I know Mister Gwyther real name is Mr. Gwyther. But unless he says it is then I can not know for sure and it is therfore not in violation of the TOU/COC.

Also even if you do put it in yuur bio "my Gt is my real name" or "my name is Cave Johnson" then someone will still have to report it for them to even notice.

Just FYI.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've run into a similar problem. I can't use "sweetie" in my motto.

Sorry this didn't help.

im also having a problem with one of the words in my gt (see left) i think its sublime. i cant add a clan tag in mw3 or uplaod any screenshots in reach since its release

Sorry this didn't help.

@Hassassin Ninja

I did a search and found a post on the Black Ops forums basically saying this is an issue with the 1st parties profanity filter (ie, Xbox Live, PSN) and not theirs. The post can be found here: www.callofduty.com/.../viewtopic.php

So back to the original question, what about the name "Dave" is profane? I've tried entering different names and they work fine. And using "Dave" in my Xbox Live motto is also not allowed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I do have all the answers for you gentlemen. Unfortunately I do not yet have a solution. I am working on it.

I too am affected by this filter glitch. I can tell you first and foremost that you are not deined the ability to create a clan tag because you have an offensive GT. For those who are like me and unable to create a clan tag in Black Ops it is because the filter is in fact not working correctly.

I can also tell you that the filter used to govern player input data such as a Clan Tag and Custom Class Name in Black Ops is the exact same filter used to govern the creation of Gamer Tags for Xbox Live. So if you can not use what you want to name your custom class then you also can not creat a new GT with that word/phrase.

The XBLPET owns and operates that filter. I am actively attempting to work with them to fix this issue. I encourage you all to post your examples of GT that can not use the Clan Tag feature in Black Ops in my "Clan name denied due to prohibited text" thread in the xbox Black Ops forums here: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/a_d/codblackops/f/313/p/80451/392415.aspx#392415

Also review my thread on the Activision Black Ops xbox 360 Forums here (more info, more disscusion):http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=412611&p=5822830&sid=hhcr2fjmsdb18ku1hthg9fff22#p5822830

Yes the filter IS broken. You are doing nothing wrong. Hopefully the XBLPET will realize this and fix the issue.

Hope this helped you guys.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem as you, except that it's the Gamertag I want to change to that is not allowed, but it WAS allowed just a few hours ago. I'm wondering why, since the Gamertag in question is not offensive or inappropriate.

Sorry this didn't help.

Accept for a few? Yes I fully understand the "potty" word. That one is on my list only because it appeared to be put there on accident rather than design. The point was for it to help those who opperate the filter to understand why/how it is broken to help them fix it.

But you spoke in the plural sense. What other word/s in that list do you think are even remotely offensive?

Sorry this didn't help.