Not sure if this is really the proper place to post this but I am having trouble with the DVD drive in my console

Its a 2006 model, what its doing is when I put a game in it says Play DVD instead of Play (Insert Game here) and it does it with most if not all of my games.  I have the DVD drive from my old console that works better than this one and have already tried pretty much all methods to clean it, my question is if I swapped the DVD drive with the old DVD drive is there a chance my console could get banned?  The reason I am asking is that the DVD drives are not the same model and was concerned that putting the older drive in might get me banned.  Or if someone has another solution to my problem I am all ears.  Thanks in advance for any information.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hi guys!

I'm glad you were able to get your problem resolved and your games are now being read by the console. However, please remember that descussion of any type of moddification or 'self fixing techniques' referring to the xbox 360 system is against the forum rules and regs'.

If this problem happens again you can review the xbox support pages for troubleshooting advice: Disc drive solution page.

Another good tip is to install the games you play most to the memory unit, this way your disc drive is less prone to 'wear & tear'. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Awesome on the fix!!!   I am jotting that down for future reference - I've had friends in the same situation with the warranty sticker missing on the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Although your solution is a good one tankgrriz there is no warranty sticker on my console and I have heard that if its not there they will not even service the console.  I believe using the method of adjusting the laser [mod removed] (I tried the other drive and it is very touchy about ejecting, half the time it wont even eject lol).  Thanks for the advice though, I did find it helpful.

Sorry this didn't help.

One solution would be an out of warranty repair that you could set up on support website!  It would certainly avoid any potential issues with system modification - and you get a warranty on the repaired console for a year if its your first out of warranty repair on the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've never heard of anyone getting banned for swapping disk drives.

Sorry this didn't help.