Not much sense!

I'm seeing a lot of talk on the net about xbox one without a blue ray drive. Now I can certainly understand this when talking about games and such but to me it sounds a bit strange. Given that Microsoft a pitching this as an all in one home entertainment console (which I love by the way) it seems odd to me that they would even consider this give that people still have huge collections of DVDs and blurays! Well I know I do. And I now use my x1 for watching them. I just think it seem odd after pushing the all in one thing! Or is it all just bull crap?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well it can play movies, music and games, the only thing is they will have to come from the Xbox marketplace.

-

It's basically giving people choices, they already have a bluray player people can pay a little less for an Xbox One.  

-

Hopefully this will put an end to the "Xbox One without Kinect" we've seen on these forums since launch, if Microsoft wanted to release a cheaper console they could just drop Kinect.  But they aren't, they're dropping the optical drive instead, which to me shows they never intend to release a kinectless Xbox One.

Then look at this way... some people already have a top of the line blu ray player... chances are better than the OEM model in the XB1... those people might not have a need for another drive.. by removing the drive.. gives some people an option to still enjoy the X1 with digital games, streaming, kinect etc. Me personally... I do not own nor do I think I would use the disc player.. if the discless was available on Nov 22nd for $399.99, I would have most likely bought that..

Lets just hope that with the "rumored" release of a disc less version.. they are close to revealing digital used game sales and lower prices...

Wonder how much cheaper it could be if they dropped both - the blu-ray player and Kinect. ...just a thought.

Currently there's rumors surrounding both options at the moment.  Microsoft did consider dropping the Blu Ray drive before initial launch.  Something will happen as they need to get the One down in price.

I understand that people would already have a blu ray player. I have one myself. It just seems odd to me in light of the fact that they want us to do everything on this one system. What's the point of an all in one system if I'm still going to have a blu ray player as well. Well not me but others. I already have one with it. But you get my meaning. It's called xbox "one" because it's all in one. So are they going to bring out one without a blu ray and call it xbox 0.5?

Well they may also drop the "all in one" campaign/slogan. That was a Don Mattrick thing (I believe), and he's gone now. So...

I also wouldn't be surprised in a year or two, if they redesign the XO a little and increase its power.

I think MS want to get the price down right now because they know it's starting to cost them.  i think cutting the Kinnect out the option would be a better deal as a Blu Ray drive is more important to a individual then Kinnect.

So basically they will just turn it into a straight gaming console. Personally that sounds boring to me.

As a friend of mine said, Microsoft isn't going to give up that easily on their original plan.

Don't turn this into a kinect thread or I will simply get the mods to shut it down. We don't need another one of those!