Not allowing us to cancel subscriptions online shows Microsoft doesn't respect it's customers

I've been a Microsoft fan boy pretty much my entire life. First pc was a 486 with msdos. I'm also the only person I know that owns a windows phone 7. I owned three of the original xboxs and I own one Xbox 360. I am really pissed off at Microsoft at the moment. The only reason to prevent a customer from unsubscribing online is to raise a barrier to customer attrition. But that's the most disrespectful way to tackle the attrition problem. It shows no respect for my time. No other service I have ever encountered from a reputable company forces users to jump through hoops to unsubscribe. This one policy shows how Microsoft views it's customers. Maybe statistically people unsubscribe at a lower rate when they have to talk to a human being, but anyone with a job and kids and responsibilities is going to be really pissed off, and they are going to remember this for the next console generation, and next time they buy a laptop or phone. You just lost a customer.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

What do you mean by unsubscribe? I take it you mean the automatic renewal, I think that was taken down because people were facing problems with it. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It was taken down last Nov. due to many issues with it. It is a very simple 4 minute phone call to support to turn off auto renewal.

Sorry this didn't help.

It was not taken down for technical reasons.  By law people in Illinois are still allowed to cancel online.  Also, if everyone from blizzard to apple allows me to cancel subscriptions online, the fact that Microsoft can't get that feature to work would be more damning than just admitting they are [Removed]

My phone call to have my subscription cancelled was not 4 minutes.  The representative kept trying to sell me other things and got upset when I wouldn't agree to his "deals".

Sorry this didn't help.

Ill agree, that is unacceptable. Its very annoying when you call to remove your subscription and they just try to sell you more products. I was lucky and decided to turn auto renewal off on the website when it was actually working.

Unfortunately Microsoft probably wont care about loosing customers as they are a billion dollar company, loosing one customer wont affect them at all. So there is nothing we can do about it, sorry :(

Sorry this didn't help.

There are a few states that still allow you to turn off the auto renewal it is not just IL.

Callumpy, yes MS is a billion dollar company. They do care about their customer's, because without them they would not be in business. There are a few things that MS does to ensure they stay in business too. These things are something that will some customer's will find frustrating, and others will not find it as an issue. A phone call to MS to turn off auto renewal can take as little at 4 minutes if the agent knows his way around the tools.

Sorry this didn't help.

So what you are saying is that in order to stay in business, Microsoft has to force customers to call a human being to unsubscribe in the hope that people will be too busy to do so.  But through some miracle Netflix, apple, amazon, and dozens of other companies manage just fine without such a disrespectful practice.  Strange world this.

Sorry this didn't help.

oh man it's not that bad.  The last time I changed or cancelled my Internet and Phone service I had to call customer service.  Xbox is no different.  And Netflix, Apple & Amazon are completely different lines of business from xbox live.  A while ago xbox had the option to cancel AR on the web site, but so many users screwed up the cancellation (thinking they cancelled but didn't) that it created more problems than if a customer support agent cancelled it and gave them a confirmation number.

Sorry this didn't help.

1-Microsoft is not the only company out there that requires a phone call to cancel a service.

2-If you call early when support opens and select the correct menu prompts the phone call is less than five minutes.

3-The support reps are only doing what they are paid to do when offering other deals. No different than what most other businesses do or require of their employees.

4-Refer to section 6.10 and 17 of the legally binding digital contract you agreed to when you joined XBL.

Sorry this didn't help.