Not able to purchase Gold

Since I've had this account, I've had no issues with my purchases. Either directly accessing my debit or my paypal, payments always went through, quickly and easily. However, recently I noticed a deal on the dashboard for 2 months of gold for $2. Seeing as I am pretty short on cash at the moment, I thought I would take up the deal and play a few games online. I went to payment and I got an error saying that there was something wrong with my account and that I needed to go to http://account.live.com to get it fixed, or change payment options. Since at was using the paypal method at the time, I switched over to direct payment from my debit card. Before I did that, I double checked the details, and they were up to date. I went to confirm the purchase and got the same error again. Slightly annoyed, I went to the website, only to find nothing wrong and everything was fine. I've tried changing my payment options via paypal for the last hour and nothing works. What am I supposed to be looking for exactly? What have I done since my LIVE time expired and now that is stopping me from making a purchase? Has something happened to my account without my knowing? What should I do? Why do I have to go through all of these hoops and jumps to purchase a deal on Xbox Live? Why can't I purchase the same deal on pc?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

I know you said you checked the information, but just to be safe double-check your card info.  Make sure the billing address is correct (if you moved recently, it could still be using your old address if you didn't update billing info with your bank).

Sometimes banks will block purchases on online services like XBOX Live due to the seemingly random purchase patterns and greatly varying amount of money involved.  Call your bank to make sure they haven't put a fraud detection flag on your account.  

The above happened to me, and it wasn't because my card was compromised, they just noticed weird spending patterns.  Once I confirmed it was all okay, they removed the block.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi DigitalDead, please check the Microsoft Billing site here. Usually when the website is telling you an error like that it's related to either your payment method no longer being valid or it having an expired payment method on file. Please check the site and make sure that all of your information is correct (billing/payment details) and if you're going to try to use PayPal you need to have a positive balance in your PayPal account already in order to be able to make purchases on XBOX Live, otherwise you'd need to have a debit card (which in this case you do). If you don't see anything wrong on the page or any sort of notices then you will need to contact phone support and speak with a customer service agent to see what's up with the account.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is the normal practice of Xbox Live to continue service for 2 months after the expiration date. Unfortunately, that means there is an outstanding balance on your account for 2 months of service. My experience has been that you will have to call billing support to resolve the outstanding balance before you can purchase anything else. It is not a perfect system, but it is what I have seen over the last 2 years time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, yesterday I had a chance to call customer service, since I didn't see anything wrong from the billing site. According to what I am told, everything is fine on that end. I'm not sure what's going on. I don't see any outstanding balance issues or anything. I just doubled checked my billing management page, just to make sure everything is right. I'll give them another call later today or tomorrow, just to double check.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Digital! Let us know how that phone call goes and if they help you to a solution. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I apologize  for not responding so soon, and leaving you all hanging. I woke up and went to my xbox and remembered to post. I actually figured out the problem...I think. I had a chip-in tied to my account for a friend, which temporarily locks your account. I actually didn't know that until yesterday when I closed it. Everything worked fine afterwards, but overall that was quite strange.

Sorry this didn't help.