No video with AV connection but works fine with HDMI connection?

I have an Xbox slim that I'm trying to connect to a SD tv with the component cable that came with the console. I'm getting sound but no video, and I've also tried the AV connection on the HDMI split cable with the same issue. When I connect my console to an HD tv with the HDMI inputs however, everything works fine, so it's not the console. - My Xbox is normally hooked up to an HD Tv, so its settings were set for that, but I already did the hold-down-y-and-right-trigger display reset, and no results. I even hooked up the console to the working display and checked that the display settings were back to default, which they were. I also switched the little switch on the HDMI split cable to "AV" with no luck. Am I missing something? I've played this slim on this SD tv before, so I know it's not the television. I've ruled out the cables, the tvs, the console, so I'm not sure what else to try. Any help would be great.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 37 Applies to:

Does the AV cable have a little HD switch on it? It would be on the end that plugs into the Xbox. If so that could be your problem. I know if I forget to change that it won't work on a non HDTV. Let me know! :]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

yup, the switch is on "AV". It's usually on HDTV when it's plugged into a HD tv, but I switched it to "AV" for the SD tv and still no picture :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Strange indeed...well, my last Xbox was going out when it would no longer work with those component cables any longer, but that was the old version too. Have you looked at this document at all? There are a few fixes...

support.xbox.com/.../audio-video

Sorry this didn't help.

You should try resetting your consoles resolution, it usually loads up the last resolution used which would result in you not getting a picture on a SD TV, to do this turn your console on using your controller and as it starts up hold Y and right trigger, your console will then reboot and the resolution will be in SD.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Kihu!! Switch on AV is correct for standard viewing just be sure your useing the correct yellow/white/red connections and your selecting the proper input on your display and you should be seeing a picture. Try the Y,right trigger reset again maybe but because of your posted solutions you've tried, if your not seeing a picture you should maybe try another cable. Have you tried this cable and console on any another standard television or just the one. I'm thinking bad video input on television maybe?!?

Sorry this didn't help.