No sound using HDMI cable - brand new xbox

Hi.

After saving his money for a couple of years, by son bought a new Xbox 360 250GB console yesterday which is our first experience with xbox.  The guy in the shop also gave us a new HDMI cable (though it is a Sony PS3 one, though he told us they all work the same).  Anyway, we connected it all up to our TV, did the setup, connected it to our wireless network and downloaded the updates.  However, although the picture is great, there is no sound.  So we tried the composite A/V cable that was in the box, and that gets sound, but the picture quality is rubbish. 

I've tried googling for answers but I'm getting so confused.  I'm not sure where the problem lies.  is it our TV, (a Phillips LCD TV, about 5 years old) is it the cable, or is it the xbox itself.  I've been reading that some people have had issues since the new software update.  is there something else I can try before I take it back to the shop.

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Just to clarify; there are different versions of HDMI. The newest is HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 1.4a. Since you have an old TV, I think your problem is with your TV (Just my opinion). What I recommend you is to try the cable in a different TV; if not solved try another cable. According to my experience, I am clear that any HDMI cable works on the Xbox. JUST TRY DIFFERENT TV OR CABLE! I hope this work!

P.S. : The quality is much better on HDMI because the image is on HD (720p or more); on the other hand with A/V cable the resolution is 480p----- Just a little information. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks mjmb60.  I took a trip up to my parents place and plugged it into their TV and it all worked, so the problem definitely is with our TV.

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome! Whenever you have a technical issue, you can email me directly!

Sorry this didn't help.