No sound coming from Xbox

I just got my xbox 4 weeks ago, and everything has been working fine since I got it. I have a Sony bravia 40" 1080p 60Hz HDTV. my xbox is connected to my TV through an HDMI cable and an HDMI audio adapter.

I turned my xbox on today. usually it takes maybe 2 seconds for my TV to recognize the signal coming from my Xbox and show the xbox start logo, but this time it took a good 20 seconds. when it finally did show up, the picture was 640x480, in a letterbox, much less than the normal 1080p i usually get out of it. I also noticed there was no sound. I went into the system settings and changed the picture back to 1920x1080. I then went into the audio options and tried turning it to digital stereo and then to the third option (I forget what its called) but no luck. I tried connecting my xbox to the TV through a different HDMI port, using a different HDMI cable altogether and then without the HDMI audio adapter, but still no sound. The picture, which I changed to 1920x1080, is still the same, though, but i don't actually think that its true 1080p, because usually it will say on the top of my TV in an info bar when I switch inputs something like "1920x1080, 1080p" and now it only says "1920x1080, 60Hz".

I really dont know where to go from here. this is really strange because I cant remember any changes I have made to my setup or options that have caused this, it just seems to have come out of the blue.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to proceed next? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 175 Applies to:

So after digging really deep, I found out that the Display Discovery feature that you guys have implemented into the Xbox is to blame. It, for whatever reason, switched my display over to DVI instead of HDMI. DVI cannot relay sound, so that's why I didn't hear anything. After turning off display discovery, I just needed to go back into display settings and change my resolution back to 1080p. Microsoft, please look into this issue. A few other people I have talked to have had the same problem, so while its not a big issue, it is definitely worth looking into for the next system update.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

thank you!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.