No longer connecting to Internet?

I've always connected my 360 to the Internet bu running an Ethernet cable from my 360 to laptop, wireless connecting laptop to router.  Recently I have upgraded to Windows 8.1.  I can't now connect to the Internet.  My laptop is connected but I keep getting the message:

"Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem"

I have factory re-set the connection options and tried both automatic and manually entering connection settings as per the support pages.  Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

You can not connect your Xbox to your internet via Ethernet through your laptop. The port on your laptop is to be plugged into your router or cable modem if you what your laptop to have a wired connection. If you want your Xbox to be wired, then you need to run the Ethernet cable to the port on your router or cable modem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've done it this way for the best part of three years!  My laptop is wirelessly connected to the Internet, I run an Ethernet cable from the port on my laptop to the port in my xbox and essentially the laptop is my wireless adaptor.  Now all of a sudden I can't do this as per my original post.  What's the solution?

I don't want a wired connection.  I want to continue to be able to access as I always have done.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's odd, you must have a different setup on your laptop then most have.. Sorry I don't know what else to say, good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.