No Dolby 5.1 when streaming only

I have searched for other people having this issue but can find any similar stories.

I am not getting Dolby 5.1 surround on any of the services when I stream media (Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Go, and XBox video). This has been happening for quite some time. My receiver (Denon AVR-1610) indicates that it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal ( and when "status" button is pressed says signal is 3/2/.5) - but I get no center channel or sub woofer playing. I believe there are no rear surrounds either.

Thing is, it doesnt sound like it is simply in stereo, because the front speakers are very quiet and i need to jack up the volume to hear the dialogue. Other strange thing is that Dolby 5.1 works perfectly in the dashboard and in games. It is only when I click over to one of the apps that it shuts off. It has done this across the board, even on brand new releases and tv series.

I have the XBox 360 connected to the Denon via an HDMI cable. I have tried different cables and different HDMI inputs on the receiver with no luck. I have no problems with the surround sound (or speakers) when connecting a Blu-Ray or my Zotac media PC. Those sound awesome.

It is unfortunate because I use the streaming services so much but the sound quality is frustrating. Oh, I have tried setting the XBox audio settings to both "Dolby 5.1" and "Dolby 5.1 w/ WMA" also.

Any suggestions?

Pete

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 81 Applies to:

Hey there Raynsom!

Have you tried setting the console to digital to see if you get all the speakers playing that way?  Also, I'm wondering if it would be an option for you to try the optical audio connection to that theater system.

BTW, I'm moving this thread over to http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7.aspx to see if anyone there might have other suggestions! 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, if I switch it to Digital Stereo setting, then my receiver switches automatically to Pro Logic II Cinema and actually sounds better than on Dolby Digital (because of the fact that all speakers work -- even if it is a fake surround). When it is set to Dolby Digital on the XBox, the receiver thinks it is receiving a DD signal. I can press the status button and it indicates it is receiving 5.1 channels, although only the front speakers play anything. I haven't tried the optical connection yet, just the hdmi, but maybe I will try that. My attempt today is to try using another XBox on my system to see if it does the same thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok -

I tried my setup with an optical cable - no luck - same results

I tried using another XBox - no luck - same results

Therefore, it seems like the only common element in the equation is my receiver (and my TV - but I use it for outputting the video only). I right now run everything from the XBox via a HDMI cable to the receiver.

It may be how my receiver is seeing the incoming audio and perhaps isn't set correctly or can't handle it for some reason. If anyone has an idea of settings I can tweak let me know. These are the strange seemingly random conditions now that may make sense to someone. Perhaps my receiver is faulty:

- Dolby Digital works in games and I just discovered also in XBox video movie and TV streaming. It does not work in any of the other apps (i.e HBO Go, Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

- When in those apps watching movies/tv that I assume to be in DD 5.1 (Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, etc.), my receiver's display is exactly the same as it is when the DD 5.1 is working. It displays "Dolby Digital" and hitting the status button shows that it is receiving a 48 kHz signal's 3/2/.5   -- however, I only get sound from the front speakers and the volume is greatly reduced.

- Again, all the speakers are working and if I get out of one of those apps and start a game or XBox Video I get sound from all 5 channels and it sounds great.

- If I do start an older movie/tv show without DD 5.1 (something in stereo) the receiver knows it and automatically switches to Dolby ProLogic II Cinema. If I switch my XBox settings from Dolby Digital to Digital Stereo, it always goes to this ProLogic setting (and actually sounds a lot better than the 2 channel quiet dolby digital)

If anyone thinks my receiver may be faulty let me know. It is still under extended warranty for a few months, maybe a new one is the solution!

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally solved my problem. Turns out it was an issue with my receiver. Luckily I had the extended warranty and it was replaced with a newer model.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again Ray! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Happy gaming!

Sorry this didn't help.