No audio via optical output

Hello all,

Hoping someone might be able to lend a hand here - I am using an original 360 elite (not S), and have it connected via HDMI to my television and via a slim AV adapter with optical output to my receiver for audio.  Unfortunately, I am not getting any audio output from the 360 to my receiver via the optical output.  This was working at one point, because I had it hooked up this way right after we purchased the 360.  For the past couple of months, the system was set up in a different location and did not require the optical for audio, so was being used strictly HDMI.  Now that i have it hooked back up this way, it seems like the system just is not sending audio signal across the optical output.

I know the optical cable itself is good because I've been using it with a PS3, attached to the same receiver, so I know the optical port on the receiver is good also.  I have no reason to believe anything is wrong with the AV adapter for the 360 because it has just been sitting unused.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

Check the audio settings on the xbox. See if you can set it to use the optical for the audio and not the HDMI cable. Only thing i could think of doing.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That would be great if that were an option, but it isn't.  The only audio options are to set it to Digital Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, or Dolby Digital 5.1 w/ WMA; there are no options that I could find to force the audio to optical.  If there is, maybe you could point me to where that option lives?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your Xbox 360 will automatically output through the optical cable when one is plugged in. Check to see if the optical cable is fully clicked in on both ends, in the Xbox and in the receiver as it might have come loose.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the exact same issue.  The cables are all properly connected, but the Xbox won;t output via the optical cable.

Sorry this didn't help.

My audio optical out recently just quit working altogether.  Was there a recent update or something that stopped sending out the audio signal over optical?

I do notice on my receiver it now displays Dolby Digital when I use the HDMI when it didn't previously.  I was using the optical audio to get Dolby Digital.

Any ideas on what's  going on?

Sorry this didn't help.