Ninja Gaiden 3 - Will Accessibility Kill The Franchise?

So "Ninja Gaiden" has been famous for being 'Rock Hard'.

If you completed it you had earned the right to brag.  If you completed it on "Master Ninja" you are probably in the top 2% of gamers in the world.

However if you owned more than one game, had a job, family, pet to feed and couldn't devote the time and hours needed to become the ultimate Master Ninja then these games were pretty tough... to the point of frustration for many gamers.

Now the stuff being released at the Tokyo Gameshow seems to imply that "Ninja Gaiden 3" will not be as 'Rock Hard' as the previous 2 installments.

Do you guys think this is a good thing that makes the game accessible to more players, or is it a bad thing that essentially sees a great franchise being dumbed down?

Az

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Played NG3 at Eurogamer and it is easier than NG2. Some of the attacks require a mere press of the button and they take out everything on screen via a cut scene. The enemies don't seem as fast no deadly but hey i had fun playing it and perhaps they were just hiding the hard parts

If anything is going to kill the game it's the lack of dismemberment and the QTE's. As long as the higher difficulties are left alone toning down lower difficulties shouldn't be a problem. Bayonetta had 2 difficulties where the game essentially played itself but it had a bit of a leap in difficulty from easy > normal, kind of like NG2s difficulty spike from Warrior > Mentor mode.

[quote user="zfair899"]They're also trimming down the gore to Ninja Gaiden Sigma levels (the 'special editions' on PS3). No more insane levels of haemophiliac enemies. No more gruesome executions, just the odd spatter of blood and sinew.

[/quote]

Lot's of people don't realise that the "Ninja Gaiden" we got on the original XBox was a censored version created for Europe because the game could not pass Germany's censor board with a 16+ rating because it featured human decapitations.

Rather than create a single version for Germany, they created a censored version that they forced upon all of Europe.

I wondered what I was doing wrong as I never seemed to be able to cut the heads of enemy ninja.  To add insult to injury, the first cust scene in the censored version is a decapitation scene.

Thanfully when the Hurricaine Packs were downloaded via LIVE it reverted the game to it's original form, and "Ninja Gaiden: Black", as it contained both hurricaine packs, featured decapitations as per the creator's original intention.

If you watch "Ninja Gaiden 3" trailers you might not even notice that dismemberment is taken out because the trailers are over the top bloody.

But it just seems like the remnants of "Team Ninja" going through the motions with the same character models as last game and that's what kind of puts me off.

Az

Because now they're letting just about any riff-raff see the closing credits, the nerve of them.

-

Far more worrying to me is the fact that they're making it more story-centric (as I mentioned). Story is nearly always side-dressing for games like this. If they're hoping to make Ryu a more meaningful, sympathetic character then it sounds like they're largely missing the point of the current generation of Ninja Gaiden.

-

They're also trimming down the gore to Ninja Gaiden Sigma levels (the 'special editions' on PS3). No more insane levels of haemophiliac enemies. No more gruesome executions, just the odd spatter of blood and sinew.

I thought this thread was about whether Ninja Gaiden 3 would lose its audience, due to its 'acceptance' of an audience more catered to a more casual fare?  We-ell, if the game had a range of difficulities and incentives designed to appeal to the hardcore and casual player, why couldn't it appeal to all?

[quote user="DnB Badger"]

I'd like to point out that you're the one calling me a cleaner..

[/quote]

Sounds like somebody forgot they waded into a thread about the difficulty on "Ninja Gaiden 3" with:

Why does anyone rise to this AZ character, He just sounds like a ***-sure bum who has nothing better to do than sit around playing computer games and bumming around on forums telling everyone how great he is! GET A JOB!!!

[/quote]

You've learned a valuable lesson in this thread today:

"Be careful when you swing your handbag as you're often liable to miss and have it come full circle and strike you in the back of the head".

You should enjoy "Ninja Gaiden 3".  It sounds like you'll do a lot better there than you're doing here.

Az

a Badgers bite is vicious

I'd like to point out that you're the one calling me a cleaner.. And why would I wait 20mins to load a game that I have no intention of owning?

At least you admit that you have your head rammed up their ***...  enjoy the warmth that reminds you of your mother's womb which you have probably not long vacated

Actually I work for the company whose *** you seemingly have your head rammed up of!!

I dont have a gold account as I don't yet have an xbox and so enjoy the far superior machine produced by one of the companies competitors..

It is people like you who have put me off purchasing an xbox for this long as I dont want to have to pay for the privilage of gaming online with pretentious pricks like yourself.

And I probably earn more in a week than you do in a month...

*RANT OVER*

[/quote]

I'm not sure if you're trying to imply you empty the bins for Namco, Team Ninja or Microsoft.

It's nice that you have found time between playing on your PS 3 and working your high paying cleaner job to come onto the XBox Forums to call people names.

Mind you I suppose it's something to do while you're waiting 20 minutes for "Devil May Cry 4" to load to your Hard Drive.

Az

Actually I work for the company whose *** you seemingly have your head rammed up of!!

I dont have a gold account as I don't yet have an xbox and so enjoy the far superior machine produced by one of the companies competitors..

It is people like you who have put me off purchasing an xbox for this long as I dont want to have to pay for the privilage of gaming online with pretentious pricks like yourself.

And I probably earn more in a week than you do in a month...

*RANT OVER*