Next xbox to use 'always-on' (internet) DRM - Rumour

Link   

-

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still find myself in loads of situations where I can't connect my console online for whatever reason. The necessity for an internet connection was one of the main reasons the PSP-go was stillborn so I'm calling BS on this. At least, I hope it's BS. If it isn't then I'm going to spend the next generation of gaming playing whatever PS2/PS3/360/GC/Wii games I might have missed out on.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ubisoft have already tried always on DRM with some of their PC games, so it wouldn't be a stretch to see this happening.

-

I don't think it would be a console DRM per say but something the publishers would do.

It's more likely it would need to be connected at some point, so as to register the game to the console, or get additional content like what EA currently do.

Always 'on' cannot work. What if your internet drops out, or you change provider and are out of internet for a couple of days.

If this is a requirement, it stands to reason that WiFi will be integrated inside every machine, so no more dongles!

"Always 'on' cannot work. What if your internet drops out, or you change provider and are out of internet for a couple of days."

-

Like Vote-DC said, a literal 'always-on' policy has already been in place for a while with Ubisoft PC games. So there's definitely a precedent for this kind of thing. AC1 on the PC (supposedly) had huge performance issues with the way it would 'phone home' every minute or so. If you were offline when it did, you'd be kicked out of the game.

Rumour-licious. I heard the nextbox is gonna have....

[quote user="lewgiffard"]

Rumour-licious. I heard the nextbox is gonna have....

[/quote]It's a rumour to be sure but one that isn't hard to believe.

PC games have already seen games which require you to maintain a constant internet connection while playing the game. With consoles becoming more PC-like, it wouldn't be a stretch to see them taking on some of the DRM schemes.

As long as it makes Toas t and Tea in the morning i dont mind.

Anyone remember the PS3 rumor before it was released?

Blu-Ray games were going to be a one time use only and would only work on the first Ps3 they were placed in.

That never happened.

-

DRM is going to be big in the next generation but they have to go about it right otherwise people will simply stick with what they have.

it's been done before, but Activision have said they won't be doing it any more as it penalises genuine customers too much.

It will never work.

Even if both MS and Sony put this in Nintendo have already said they don't plan to do this.

The AC Always online DRM caused huge levels of piracy of the game as people saw the pirated version who didn't have to be online the whole time as the better versions. There's no point punishing restrictions onto legit consumers. The better DRM system has and will always be DRM traps, files then break in copies to disable stuff in the game or *** you over. Such as the Batman Arkham glide not working, or the Serious Sam 3 indestructible scorpion. That way the pirates can't progress till someone figures out a work around and screws over the pirates.

Also the extra cost of DRM servers that have to be on as if you turn them off within what 5 years of a games release making it unplayable expect a huge backlash and demands for money back as it stops the game working. From what little extra money is generated by these measures more will be lost in having to keep all these systems going and more lost in sales of both the console and games as people without internet or with unstable internet will just refuse to buy and as Nintendo has refused to join in, they will get the sales while those really into gaming with the internet connection etc will most likely not see the point in a console and will go to PC gaming as it will be near the same but with better graphics.

Those 'traps' you mention are almost always totally ineffectual. They're little more than a joke by devs and are easily bypassed.

-

The best system is to simply offer pirates an incentive to not pirate. Make the purchased version better than the pirated one.