Next XBOX might require constant internet connection to kill used gaming?

Microsoft if you are listening, I have never bought a used game and I have never felt that on great titles the retail price is unfair.  What I would object to is any system that prevents me from taking a game that I pay for over to a friend's house to play.  If I can only play a game on the console box I registered it on, or I can only play it while logged into MY Xbox Live account, I find this to be an unduly restrictive practice.  If this is the case, I will certainly not be buying the next XBOX system.

Some things to ponder.  We all talk about gaming as a community.  I did not buy a console until I was 30 years old.  I bought one because many of my friends had one.  I bought an XBOX because it was what most of them were using and I wanted to play the same games they were, and play many of those games WITH them.  Not just online, but getting together for a night beverages and Tiger Woods, Rockband, co-op Gears of War etc.

Because I bought an XBOX, my brother and two of my best friends also bought XBOX.  When one of us bought a game we would bring it over and share.  More often than not the other guys liked a game and would buy it as well.  Community, sharing.  Because of the possibility of that interaction and sharing 3 copies of Rockband and all of its sequels were purchased.  Three full sets of Rockband equipment plus replacement parts over several years.  Between the four of us, easily thousands of dollars worth of downloadable content for Rockband, Borderlands, Red Dead Redemption and others was purchased.  When new and exciting games were coming out, we would share conversation and anticipation.  When I bought Lego Lord of the Rings I brought it over to my brother's house to play co-op with him.  The next day he bought a copy.  Do you really want to destroy that kind of experience?

I would advise you, Microsoft, against any measure that would prevent all this from happening.  You are going to kill what grows your brand, your reputation and your appeal.  If you build something that I cannot easily share with my friends, I don't want it.  We will find something else we can share. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Seriously, that is very well written. But I fear this might not make it to the head office.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

^

Sorry this didn't help.

im not going to get one

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not a new thing. It is done with PC games. They kind of snuck it in a bit at a time.

Only bad thing is for those people who don't connect their console to the internet. They won't be able to play any games unless they connect to the internet.

Until it officially announced this is all just rumor, though it sounds very likely.

Sorry this didn't help.

If this happens and assuming I get Microsoft's next console, this would make me _very_ selective as to the games I'd purchase.  Random bargain bin or Platinum Hits titles I'd only want to play for a bit would be a pass, and I'd only be picking up titles I'm sure I'd want to keep.

Basically, I'd be spending less money on games.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

Juxt, I'm sure most people would do the same. But I think it would be foolish for them not to sell activation passes separately, like online passes. I'm curious to see what happens with all the used game stores.. We might just end up going back to trading games in between friends or something.. like the old days.

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me just point out that its all rumor and baseless speculation until there is some kind of announcement.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Rebelled"]

Juxt, I'm sure most people would do the same. But I think it would be foolish for them not to sell activation passes separately, like online passes. I'm curious to see what happens with all the used game stores.. We might just end up going back to trading games in between friends or something.. like the old days.

[/quote]

Hmm... assuming this happens and assuming a game is locked to one's console, how could you trade them with friends?

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Mister Switch"]

Let me just point out that its all rumor and baseless speculation until there is some kind of announcement.

[/quote]

This....   all speculation at this point.  I think MS had started a Direct Download only rumor to both see if there was any uproar, and to get us ready for the fact that at some point in the future it will be DDL only.   Can't see it happening this round.  'Cept maybe with the OUYA and/or the Set top box from Valve.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Juxtapose13"]

[quote user="Rebelled"]

[/quote]

Hmm... assuming this happens and assuming a game is locked to one's console, how could you trade them with friends?

[/quote]

That's a concern of mine as well. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm currently trying to stock up on all he good XBOX games that I haven't had a chance to play or complete over the last 7 years (bought mine in 2006) because I'm sure Microsoft will try to pull some stunt of sorts. I very much value my gaming time with family and friends. I better make sure that I have things secured with the current-gen consoles.

Sorry this didn't help.