Next Generation: Graphics, 30FPS or 60FPS, does it matter to you?

Now lets not turn this into the usual boring "Xbox One Vs PS4" debates, if you want the best graphics go buy a PC ;-p

Over recent months and again over the last few days ( Especially coming out of Eurogamer ) I've seen a lot of people say they have been a little disappointed ( with both consoles ) by quite a few of the games on the next generation consoles.

We've had articles saying Ryse: Son of Rome is now only running at 30FPS instead of 60FPS. Killzone won't run at 60FPS all of the time. Now Battlefield 4 on next gen won't run at full 1080 ... ... these are just a few examples.

What I'm asking are people really so concerned by this? It's early days yet and I'm pretty sure as developers get to grips better with the hardware we will see "better visuals" and for an average gamer like me I think a lot of these next gen games look fantastic and I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway if a game was running at 30 or 60FPS or 720 or 1080.

For me the main thing is the game plays good, runs smoothly ( online and off ) and if it looks great then that's just an added bonus for me.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've never once played a game this gen, that runs at a stable 30fps and thought " I wish this ran at 60fps! "

If the game looks good and more importantly has great gameplay, then i'm happy!

To be honest, if the game plays well then I'm happy. So long as the frame rate is solid that is.

I must admit it's a tad disappointing with the new consoles power we're not getting 1080p 60fps as standard... give it time and as devs get used to the machines I'm sure it'll happen.

If these consoles are going to be around for 12 years, then it's a bit disappointing they can't even cope with current TV specs. By 2025 I expect to be running 4K with glasses free 3D!

Graphics have never meant anything to me if I like the subject matter of a game I will buy it.

[quote user="Majikthise"]

If these consoles are going to be around for 12 years, then it's a bit disappointing they can't even cope with current TV specs. By 2025 I expect to be running 4K with glasses free 3D!

[/quote]

By 2025 I expect to be playing games on my Mind-o-Vision brain chip whilst my hovercar is set to autopilot driving me to my job overseeing the cyberclones at the jetshoe factory!!!!!

I would like 1080p 60 fps to become a standard target on console.  I think it will become the standard in a couple of years, it's just we're currently in that weird phase of cross gen games and devs not having enough time with the hardware.  I have no reason to buy a console for a multi platform game if the quality is inferior to what I can get on PC.

As long as it is playable and not a laggy mess where it just judders along and doesn't respond to your joypad commands i don't mind.

As long as it does not drop to unacceptable levels for the FPS I don't really care. Like 1337 Gamer though I would like to see 1080p 60FPS become the targeted norm though.

Personally i don't care too much bout graphics and i think people put too much stock in them. I still play the original Fallouts, System Shock's and countless other games which people would think these days look horrible, but yet they are still better then most released today.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see every game running at 60FPS, 1080 etc but for me graphics are not the most important thing.

I'm just not sure with the comments I've seen recently what some gamers expected from these new consoles especially so early on.