Next Gen is current Gen?

PC's have been held back for some time now due to games pandering to the lowest common denominator. Now on the horizon we see what is effectively two x86 based consoles packing little more than a low to mid specced gaming PC from 12 months ago or so.....I my self am a bit tired of Sony and Microsoft kinda telling me what experience I want.....therefore I think I'm gonna wait and build a PC rather than climb aboard either consoles tour bus.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

ANTIVICTORIUS WROTE : "I don't believe that consoles hold back the PC games at all. You have to remember that along with console gamers, not all PC gamers are sporting the state-of-the-art rigs. The companies who churn out PC games have to make them available to mid-range PCs, because not everyone can afford the top-of-the-line prebuilt desktop and not everyone can piece together the end-all-be-all God of gaming rigs.

So, what I mean is, don't blame consoles. Blame the end-users who don't know what IRQ stands for. :P"

PC game software is scalable depending on your hardware isn't it ? So if I run a whizbang PC I can max out the graphics etc.....what isn't scalable is the fact that games predominantly written for consoles remain the same games on PC when they have had the capability to massively improve AI, physics, scale, design etc.....effectively games on a PC is like polishing a console derived turd isn't it lol ?

PC's will always have the edge, they evolve more in 1 year than a console does in 7 because they cant keep releasing a new console every year.

Icestorm whoa hold on I'm not a consumer show or a geek site running bench marks with the latest tech.....I am a gamer who can upgrade my current PC to a new spec that will be in the long run more flexible and powerful than a new console.....I am talking about my own personal views and circumstances regarding my hobby be it with an upgrade or otherwise. Really as far as quoting me regarding new products etc.....release date ? I said maybe Q4 or later....MAYBE.......and the fact is that already there are products on the shelf that are more powerful than PS4's GPU now......and your missing my point yeah graphically now PC games are superior but the games are the same as console just prettier.....point being that so called next gen games on console are being marketed as the next major step.....PC's have been able to deliver on this vision for quite a while but the market and economics has held back what could already have been a monumental leap in game tech on PC. The reason I am holding off is because both consoles are an unknown quantity....my original thread asked "Is next gen current gen"and it is.....it's a lesser GPU with an AMD multi core proccessor....I'll eat my words if these new machines really kick ***.....I will wait as gaming is a hobby for me not a way of life and I don't see it as a great shame if I miss out in the short term to be honest real life is there to be lived too lol cheers Hefty.

I agree with the OP here because as we will see some cool new features we wont be seeing anything really new technology wise. yes they will buff the insides of the consoles up but even still pc gaming simply becomes more powerful everyday.

What would be nice to see is if the newer systems allowed for customization of graphics cards and sound cards, that way players could get the experience they wanted and at a cost controlled by them. customization features I hope will be key as we live in an time of extreme individuality.

Hi Icestorm I did say low to medium spec equivalent and by the time PS4 and Durango hit the market that is exactly what they'll be....both AMD and Nvidia are already bringing new or updated cards to market as we speak. Also DDR5 is PS4 only as I believe the next Xbox will be DDR3.......I agree that DDR5 isn't low spec for a console but is the norm in the PC GPU arena. PC gaming power has surpassed current gen consoles for a while now and to my mind PC games have suffered as a consequence due to games being made for consoles first because it's a bigger earner. Also to LOL At your skill yeah PC building isn't cheap but with careful planning and thought its possible to build a machine on a lesser budget that will out perform the next gen consoles with upgradability as an option if so desired. So do I  lock myself into another console 5 or so years cycle or build a flexible PC that I can modify if I choose to do so. I will wait to see what Microsoft reveals so all the facts are on the table.........

[quote user="Hefty Harry"]Hi Icestorm I did say low to medium spec equivalent and by the time PS4 and Durango hit the market that is exactly what they'll be....both AMD and Nvidia are already bringing new or updated cards to market as we speak.[/quote]Other than nVidia's Titan, there are no updates to the nVidia lineup before Q4 2013, and even that would just be a Kepler refresh. Maxwell won't arrive before 2014. AMD is publically on record stating that there will be no new high performance single GPU part for the entirety of 2013.

So... unless you want to fork out $1k for the fastest single GPU card on the planet, there is nothing new coming this year.[quote]Also DDR5 is PS4 only as I believe the next Xbox will be DDR3.......[/quote]No one knows.[quote]I agree that DDR5 isn't low spec for a console but is the norm in the PC GPU arena.[/quote]8GB of it? No. The most on a consumer grade card is 6GB, and one of those cards costs more than a new console.

The "norm" is 2GB. A 2GB Radeon 7850 is $180.[quote]with careful planning and thought its possible to build a machine on a lesser budget that will out perform the next gen consoles with upgradability as an option if so desired.[/quote]It's possible to build one around the $500 price point. It won't be very good.[quote]So do I  lock myself into another console 5 or so years cycle or build a flexible PC that I can modify if I choose to do so.[/quote]And this has to be a choice why?[quote]I will wait to see what Microsoft reveals so all the facts are on the table.........[/quote]If MS's reveal is anything like Sony's reveal, we'll be waiting quite a while for all the details.

Technically I'm already experiencing the next generation to an extent.  I've been playing some MW3 on my new PC in true 1080p.  I'm very impressed what this old engine is capable of when it's maxed out.  The 360 and PlayStation don't run any of the COD games in HD, not even in 720p, instead the game is rendered at a sub HD internally and then 'upscaled'.  To get their 60fps, they cheat.  It's quite cleverly done, and doesn't look too bad, until you compare it to the PC version.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the current generation consoles, but they're are getting a little old now, the tech inside them dates back to 2005.  Current generation consoles don't hold PC's down, Battlefield 3 is a good example of this.  The PC version is much prettier and supports more players online at the same time.  With BF3, it's clear that the PC was the lead platform, the console versions are ports of the PC version.

I don't believe that consoles hold back the PC games at all. You have to remember that along with console gamers, not all PC gamers are sporting the state-of-the-art rigs. The companies who churn out PC games have to make them available to mid-range PCs, because not everyone can afford the top-of-the-line prebuilt desktop and not everyone can piece together the end-all-be-all God of gaming rigs.

So, what I mean is, don't blame consoles. Blame the end-users who don't know what IRQ stands for. :P

[quote user="Hefty Harry"]Now on the horizon we see what is effectively two x86 based consoles packing little more than a low to mid specced gaming PC from 12 months ago or so[/quote]A Radeon 7850 is not "low spec". It's a $170-ish card. 8GB of GDDR5 isn't "low spec", either.[quote]therefore I think I'm gonna wait and build a PC[/quote]Why wait?

Who said you had to choose between them?

And that is why customizable consoles would be very crucial for the future of console gaming.

I doubt it will happen though but lets cross our fingers.