Next E3 = Next Gen Xbox?

There have been Internet articles and rumors floating around that they have the new blueprints for the next xbox. I believe I read something that said xbox 360 sales are not doing so good. They said Kinect would expand the lifespan of the 360. (I disagree) What do you think?  Do you think it's time or your not ready for the transition if it were to happen? Discuss.  

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Almost positively speaking here.  They will.  I highly doubt we are going into the next generation in 2013 despites sony's stupid 10 year philosophy about their consoles.

I think they should both the 360 and ps3 are starting to feel dated.

Here are my predictions

E3 2012: more 360 and kinect games; still a hand full of good games coming out next year

Spring 2013: Showcase new Xbox in a tv special; just like they did with the 360

E3 2013: Showing specs of new Xbox and launch titles

Holiday 2013: new Xbox launches

I hope not, My 360 is still great!!

Why would Microsoft announce a blockbuster game such as Halo 4 for the Xbox 360 then turn around and announce a brand new console. Heres what I think.

E3 2013: Microsoft announces a brand new project which allows the Xbox 360 to expand even more.

Holiday 2014: The new project is released.

I don't think there will be a new console from either party in the next few years. I bet they will update the software a crap load of times though. They can do a lot more to the systems over their networks now more than ever and I think that will extend their "life".

[quote user="NoxiousFarts"]

I don't think there will be a new console from either party in the next few years. I bet they will update the software a crap load of times though. They can do a lot more to the systems over their networks now more than ever and I think that will extend their "life".

[/quote]

You have the right idea sir.

I wouldn't call it a "new console" but it was a step forward, when they released the 350Gb HD console.  Yeah, it's just a HD but it's pretty cool to me.

As I've brought up before, I believe a Holiday 2013 release is very much on the cards.

In terms of an announcement, could anything from 6 months to a year before release.

[quote user="NoxiousFarts"]

[/quote]

Sure, there's always more that can be done with any console, but no matter what software update you add there's only so much that can be wrung from any system. At some point, optimization becomes excessive, development costs rise, and games stagnate. That's a situation that both Microsoft and Sony desperately need to avoid.

I think we've hit the point of diminishing returns. Crysis 2 is a beautiful game, but Crytek admits they had to cut graphical features because they couldn't work the kinks out through optimization. Battlefield 3's limited number of players on 360 and PS3 is due to a compromise between graphics and gameplay. ID's John Carmack has expressed his frustration with the limits of current consoles versus the PC. An increasing number of developers are awaiting news on the next system and declaring their wishlists. If you extend it to the gaming community, with little input from Microsoft or Sony, the hype is building. Even if neither company wants to contribute, I guarantee they are listening.

Both Microsoft and Sony are playing a waiting game, trying to squeeze as much money as possible from the current generation. Financially, I think it's a tossup between the two companies. Microsoft had the RRoD, Sony had ridiculous development issues and costs as well as selling systems at half of production cost for years. I'm willing to bet that Microsoft will fire first, wanting to repeat their unintentional year lead on Sony with the 360. Sony will then respond with specs or maybe even an alternate E3 presentation like with the PSMove in 2009.

I'm still thinking a 2012 E3 anouncement and holiday release for the new xbox.