Newb trying to use laptop as WAP

I bought my first XBOX 360S a couple of days ago. I am trying to connect using my  dell inspiron 1525 laptop,Vista, as a WAP. I get my internet through a sierra wireless USB stick. I am on a drilling rig and do not have an ethernet cable to try the wired connection to my laptop.I have been all over the net and tried about all the suggestions I could find. I have full bars for signal but my xbox won't connect to my laptop. I have tried both full automatic settings and manual for the addresses and have 2 networks set up.One with security and the other with out. I have shut off my Kaspersky internet security to see if that was causing the problem but it made no difference. When I open command prompt,ipconfig/all it shows addresses for the sierra stick but the dell wireless card it shows no ip addresses just saying DHCP and autoconfiguration is enabled. Test results from the xboxs are can't connect to your network hardware. Anybody have any Ideas?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

It sounds like you need to turn on Internet connection sharing on the laptop and plug your xbox to the ethernet port on the laptop.  This is how I believe some are connecting.  You may have to do a few searches on how to share the internet with Vista.  Give this link a try:  www.ehow.com/how_5193226_connect-internet-using-laptop-vista.html

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Please look at one or both of these guides for help on this set-up:-

support.microsoft.com/.../978618

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/xbox-ics-bridging-guide

Some firewalls will block even if shut down

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.