New Xbox "Services" Put Shame to Xbox - SHAME ON YOU MICROSOFT!

Hello I've had a few issues with the recent "updates" starting with the new dashboard design to bring spam to a service you pay $10/month for.

All the usable games and applications are now replaced advertisements. You arenow required to navigate several menus to reach the applications or games you want. This would actually be acceptable if I did not pay monthly for this service. Imagine if you started windows and had to navigate through ads to buy proprietary software that is not compatible with your machine just to launch your internet browser, plus on top of that and the 150 paid for the operating system you also had to pay monthly to even use the operating system.

Once successfully navigated to the application you want you start to realize something even more sick. In order to use a majority of the useful services it requires you to have service through a propreitary provider which may not be available in your area (verizon fios, for example). I use my xbox for my entertainment needs (or used to be able to). As Netflix is starting to flounder and have pulled a large portion of their streaming content I looked into the new "HBOgo" service. This would reuire one to install cable (if not already installed), pay for a couple levels of service and then pay for hbo. Overall if I want to use this new "service" i would be looking at increasing my costs roughly $65 a month.

I do not need to go into each individual application and explain why the entire new release is nothing more then a way to extort users and expand private trade agreements which forces you to sign up for service you may not want just so you can use a service you already pay for. My suggestion is that services be made (or are chosen) that are a lot more user friendly and do not require proprietary services in order to even use. I bought an xbox and paid for a monthly subscription to xbox live and its "many" online services. Well.... In reality, you pay for MANY online services in order to use them on XBOX live. Either make it free, or tailor it to your users.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think it is very tailored to the user base. You are not forced to use the services

[quote user="SykoM32"]All the usable games and applications are now replaced advertisements.[/quote]Highlights of new content have been on the system since its inception.[quote]You arenow required to navigate several menus to reach the applications or games you want.[/quote]You are? Funny, I boot my console, sign in, then hit A. That starts up the game I have in the DVD drive.

If I want to do something else, I use the left/right bumpers to navigate to the appropriate subheading, then the d-pad or thumbsticks to choose the correct box.[quote]This would actually be acceptable if I did not pay monthly for this service.[/quote]Do you pay for cable TV? Do you pay for any sort of magazine subscription (print or electronic?). Watch PBS lately?[quote]plus on top of that and the 150 paid for the operating system you also had to pay monthly to even use the operating system.[/quote]Basic gaming functionality on the 360 requires no further expendature than the console itself.[quote]In order to use a majority of the useful services[/quote]Majority? To use the "majority" of Internet TV options, you'd have to have Comcast, FiOS, and move to the UK.

MS formed partnerships with many content providers. It was never advertised you'd have access to ALL providers.[quote]I use my xbox for my entertainment needs[/quote]That's a colossal waste of electricity...[quote]As Netflix is starting to flounder and have pulled a large portion of their streaming content[/quote]They have? Every time I look on Netflix there's entirely too many things I have too little time to watch.[quote]I looked into the new "HBOgo" service. This would reuire one to install cable (if not already installed), pay for a couple levels of service and then pay for hbo. Overall if I want to use this new "service" i would be looking at increasing my costs roughly $65 a month.[/quote]And this is Microsoft's fault how?

$65 for Internet, Cable TV, and HBO is pretty cheap. I pay $160/mo.[quote]I bought an xbox and paid for a monthly subscription to xbox live and its "many" online services.[/quote]Wrong. You bought XBOX Live for access to multiplayer gaming and as a pre-requesite for access to many pay-for services (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Internet TV, HBO Go. That you misinterpreted what Live was for is your problem, not Microsoft's.

You think $60/yr "entitles" you to all that video content? Really? What world do you live in?

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

Highlights of new content have been on the system since its inception.

[/quote]Top be fair though how they are presented has changed a great deal.

On the Blades the adverts were small and unobtrusive.

With the NXE there were ads on a lot of the channels but with a swift flick to My Xbox you had access to all the console features and didn't have to see an advert. If you blocked access to LIVE, or pulled the Ethernet cable, you defaulted to the My Xbox channel.

The new Metro interface however has put those adverts and 'highlights' squarely as the focus of the dashboard over the functions of the console itself. Even with no connection to LIVE there are adverts presented to you, which to be fair are to try and get you to connect to LIVE.

Not everyone can ignore the adverts as easily as you can, especially those who use the 360 as an entertainment centre more than a games console. 

[quote user="voteDC"]Top be fair though how they are presented has changed a great deal.

On the Blades the adverts were small and unobtrusive.[/quote]Ok, before going any further, we need to define what an "ad" is vs what a "highight" is.

To me, an "ad" is something labled Advertisement. The new dashboard clearly labels boxes that are "Advertisements". They are annoying because they're audio and video and when highlighted start spewing loud audio at me. This is mitigated by having the box clearly labeled "Advertisement". To date, I haven't seen a full video/audio blarfest in the main center panel from each section, just on one of the side panels.

The center panels hold what I call "highlights". They're there to show you the new things on the Service or Marketplace. No highlights, and you'd be stuck going to Major Nelson's page every week to look up what's new.

The old UI hid advertisements in with highlights and didn't label them, so you'd be scrolling along and BOOM! Noise out the speakers. Now ads can be avoided entirely.[quote]Not everyone can ignore the adverts as easily as you can,[/quote]I think it's a bumper button issue. If you scroll using the thumbsticks, the new layout can be a pain. If you scroll using the bumpers, the new layout is no worse than the old one.

If you're a gamer who plays DVD-based games, the new layout is far better than the previous dashboards. Boot, log in, hit A. Don't have to scroll around the UI.

We can argue semantics all you want but the focus of the dashboard is now to sell you things, whether that be from a third party or Microsoft themselves, that I hope we can agree on.

-

I do navigate the new Metro dashboard by the bumper buttons, I did the same on the NXE to quickly move along the channels, I can get where I want to be quickly but I don't assume that people are sharing my preferences or tolerance for the layout.

I would only say shame on MS if I had to use them.

[quote user="voteDC"]We can argue semantics all you want but the focus of the dashboard is now to sell you things, whether that be from a third party or Microsoft themselves, that I hope we can agree on.[/quote]The overall goal hasn't changed from the previous dashboard. If you want to call it selling, that's fine, but the old one had plenty of panels like that and no warning which were true ads and which were just product placement/highlights. With this one, I hit a button to skip it all. With the old one, I had to move a thumbstick and hit a button.[quote]I don't assume that people are sharing my preferences or tolerance for the layout.[/quote]I just assume people don't use the bumpers, hence all the complaints. If you use the bumpers, you keep interaction with those panels to a bare minimum.

[quote user="SwellSuperior94"]

I would only say shame on MS if I had to use them.

[/quote]agreed no one has to use these services it's a choice. Also it's a product and a business. I happen to like the product so I don't mind paying for it. I think the Xbox experience speaks for itself (Just my opinion). Plus where I come from "Boston" It's 49.99 a year which equals out to $4.16 cents a month. This price I consider quite fair to have Xbox live which I enjoy very much

[quote user="Viral Cyrix"]

I think it is very tailored to the user base. You are not forced to use the services

[/quote]

Yup. Unfortunately, their userbase is slowly... Um, I mean quickly moving away from being made up of gamers toward people who want a box besides their PC to stream Netflix & watch Youtube on. Gaming has taken not just a backseat, but the way back seat like those found in a station wagon... You know, the one that flips up & faces out the back window. 

[quote user="IceStorm III"]The overall goal hasn't changed from the previous dashboard. If you want to call it selling, that's fine, but the old one had plenty of panels like that and no warning which were true ads and which were just product placement/highlights. With this one, I hit a button to skip it all. With the old one, I had to move a thumbstick and hit a button.[/quote]No you didn't. Just like on the current Metro dashboard there was an option to start a game automatically when a disc was inserted into the console, you need not flick an analogue stick or press a button on either incarnation.
Is highlight not a hyponym* of advertise? Product placements are also there to advertise that product to you. To be honest I think we just have very different ideas on what constitutes trying to sell a person something. I'd say mine is stricter than yours though to be honest.
[quote user="IceStorm III"]I just assume people don't use the bumpers, hence all the complaints. If you use the bumpers, you keep interaction with those panels to a bare minimum.[/quote]The old NXE though kept that interaction to even more of a minimum by keeping the My Xbox channel clean of everything but console functions. Which I suppose is why they changed it to be honest, as people could more easily avoid the ads or highlights.

As you mention, one flick and you were at the My Xbox channel, there you had access to all the functions of your console and not an ad to be seen. You saw Spotlight for a fraction of a second.

Now on the Metro dash you have multiple fractions of a second, so even the quickest hand is seeing more ad content than they did before.

*Or is it a hypernym, those things confuse me.