New xbox - getting live sign up for children

Hi Folks, I seem to have gotten into a bit of a fix getting my kid signed up to live. Hes the scoop, none of us had windows live IDs:

- New Xbox 360 - create our profiles, all good so far

- I signed up to xbox live myself, got the free gold membership

- Tried to sign up one of the kids, selecting myself as the parent, got a "locale" mismatch, but both our regions are UK - odd

- Saw a few posts here and there folks with the same issue, but nothing conclusive.

- Went online to billing.microsoft.com and checked my locale, was UK. The kids i was trying to sign up had no live id and offline profiles location was UK

- Added a live id in my kids email address online and signed up as the parent with my live ID, noticed i had to add a credit card. Now im a parent of my kids' live account, great!

However now i wanted to associate the xbox profile with the live id, not possible, trying to join xbox live doesnt like that the live id is already in use. So we recoved the gamer tag and its a new profile on the machine. The thing is hes racked up a few acheivements offline and now has to start from scratch, not a great loss, but it does seem a rather convoluted way of going about things

So, did I miss something here? How do you add a kid that doesnt have a live id, is this locale thing a known issue?

Also when you get into the locale error theres no backout, you have to reload / reboot the console :-(

Any advice would help, if I had known this to start with we wouldnt have bothered with the offline profiles.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 15 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

First, the "locale mismatch" might not have anything to do with your region but rather the region of the email address you are trying to use for the child's WLID. However, it looks like you eventually sorted it out anyway. Also, how did you go about setting up the WLID for your child if you didn't initially attach it to the GT? Please walk me through the steps you have done and are doing here please. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I dont think the locale can be attributed to the email id. Some emails do have what appear to be locale specific id for example names like *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, but even these domains can be registered in countries outside of where it appears as far as I know. The domain name system (DNS) does have locale specific top level domains (TLDs) like somecompany.fr (france) for example, but im not sure if you can register those outside the country. In our case we were using gmail.com and googlemail.com addresses and in both cases the owner of these addresses can be anywhere worldwide.

The only way I finally sorted this out was to sign up for xbox live from the existing offline profile and "fudge" the d.o.b. so he didnt require a parent id. I didnt like doing it, but there was no other way around it. You can sign up for a new xbox live id online but you dont get the free 1 month membership free, you get assigned a default gamer tag (GT) when you sign up online as well as when you sign up via the console. You can change the GT once for free initially which is what we done.

My next step is to create a windows live id with a correct d.o.b and then change that to associate it with the existing live account for the young man and then once thats done I can then assign myself as a parent, hopefully.

I have a distinct feeling im missing something obvious here because Im jumping through a lot of hoops to get something rather simple setup it seems.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't believe you can assign him as your child account after creation. I believe this has to be done up front or not at all. I would strongly suggest creating a new email address for your son's account (preferably from the same provider as your own) and create him a new child account with the proper DOB.

Sorry this didn't help.

Im not convinced this will solve the issue. I tried this with another child profile, which has a @gmail.com email like mine, I got the same message. Why can't the error message tell me what the locale mistmatch is and what I can do to resolve it. For example "this child account has a locale of UK, while the parent account you have selected has a locale of US. Due to this mismatch the two cannot be associated. To resolve this issue try the following:...."

I have asked a handful of people with kids in the same school as mine the same question and they all had to alter their DOB to sign up. This sounds like either a wider spread problem or perhaps something unique to the UK, or perhaps a version of firmware / OS on the console?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would encourage you to try it before you assume it won't work. Also, are you saying that your adult account might be US?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, sorry I'll rephrase that. Im 100% sure it doesnt work because my parent email and child email are both @gmail.com both were registered when in the UK, if that makes any difference.

Theres no chance my adult account will be US, I was using a PC not connected via any proxy or VPN, based in the UK. Its showing as a UK locale in billing.microsoft.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright, so have you or have you not tried creating a new gmail account for you child and setting it up with that?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, we tried using a completely new gmail account for the child and hit the same error. As far as im concerned its 100% nothing to do with the email suffix. How would the registration process know the location of the email address owner since the only way it could be identified is by the email address which as we know is not location specific in most cases?

Sorry this didn't help.

Forgive me if I missed something here, as I'm reading through a lot of information. :) What I'm seeing is that you've only tried Gmail as the email address for your child, is that correct? I believe that is the issue - LIVE can't tell age via a gmail account. If you signed up your child with a LIVE.com address that had the proper age set, I believe this problem would not have existed. Please correct me if you've tried this.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had two gmail addresses, one for me and one for one child. Both gmail addresses had not been associated with a windows live id. I signed up for a windows xbox live account using my gmail first then tried to add my child to xbox live. Neither of the gmail addresses were already registered with a windows live id initially. This did not work and this is where I hit the locale error.

Live should not be able to tell the age via a gmail account since it should not have access to any of the gmail account, its only association of the email address with a user created password. If live was trying to access the actual email account for age details then I would expect some sort of notice to pop up to say you need to give the password to the email account and authorise windows live to be able to access your personal details.

Unless of course live has access to email accounts via another method... and that would be a big no no wouldn't it ;-)

Sorry this didn't help.