New Xbox doesn't know how to handle Highspeed internet

I bought a new 4GB console a few months ago, just after Christmas. I use fiber optic internet with 75Mbps download/30Mbps upload. Ever since I got this new xbox, it never can figure out how to use the fast speeds. It should take about 2.5mins to download a 1GB file but my new xbox can't do that. It will download off live at about 5Mbps or less and the only way I can get it to work proper is if I start the download then reboot my xbox 2-7 or more times till it starts downloading at the proper rates. My old xbox worked fine on live but this new one sucks online. It tells me on REACH that I have poor upload, it's labled in red but my old xbox didn't do that. other games will randomly say or my xbox live tests will randomly say I have moderate or strict nat but if I reboot, sometimes it says nothing.

I have tried static IP's and I have tried leaving everything on automatic. Both giving same results. If I connect wirelessly instead of wired, I get instantly cut in half in speed, no matter what. This is supposed to have wireless N but it acts like wireless B and my router/modem is wireless N!

When I do a line test with my PS3, it reports back the appropriate speeds, but since PSN is crap, it never downloads at those speeds but my old xbox which I had since May 2006, pwnd those speeds with ease.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out why this new xbox never connects at proper speeds without many reboots.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 30 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I forgot to add....

After many reboots and the xbox finally starts downloading items at proper speeds, it will only allow that first item to download fast. Every item after that will download slower than molasses in middle of winter, unless of course, I reboot again many times... very frustrating.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Please read:- forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

And post back your details in full (the bits that are in bold on that post) so that people may help

Also bear in mind just because your internet connection will let you download at 75Mbps it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get that download rate from the Xbox Marketplace

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Have  you tried a different Ethernet cable.  Some times bad cables will cuase this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

As I mentioned, my original xbox did download off xbox live marketplace at those speeds. This new xbox will only do that if I reboot it several times. It is random.

What Country/State/Province do you live in?    Canada/New Brunswick

Modem brand & model number:     Actiontec (fiber op) R1000H

Router brand & model number:      Actiontec (fiber op) R1000H

Network Connection Type:     Wired    

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?

Things you have tried:     Static IP, Automatic settings, Port maping, new cables, complete network reboot, placed in DMZ with same results, Wireless connection

Is UPnP Enabled?     Yes

Is NAT Type Open?     Yes (in my modem, nat is on and open), my xbox console randomly chooses if it's is open or moderate.

Any Error Codes you encounter:     W: 0000-000B, X: 0000-000D, Y: 20A8-4800, Z: 0000-0000, ID: FFFF-FFFF (if that is what you referred to as error codes)

What type of internet do you have?     Fiber Optic

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?     BellAliant

When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen?    "You can connect to Xbox LIVE, but your current network configuration may limit your online experience. Select More Info for a description of the problem and how you can fix it."  And this is random. Some tests say nothing at all, some say this. I never had this issue with my old Xbox 360. It got E71 error and I went to the store that day and bought the new 4GB version and plugged it in, getting all these issues with the networking.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried many new cables, store bought, new cables I made myself. They all work but my xbox just doesn't seem right with networking.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Well you have a few things going on their that could cause issues. If you want to use UPnP, do not configure port forwarding or use a DMZ and ensure your Xbox ip address is set to auto.

If you want to use portforwarding, turn off UPnP and the DMZ

Mixing and matching UPnP/Forwarding/DMZ all at the same time (assuming that is how its running) causes confusion within the router as they all try to do the same job

I would try UPnP on, Xbox ip address on auto, no DMZ, no forwarding (and then a router reboot) and see how you get on from there

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done that. I just typed in the different things I've tried

Sorry this didn't help.

right now, its set to Automatic IP, UPnP on, port forwarding off, DMZ off

Sorry this didn't help.

Sometimes on this Auto IP setting, it will take an IP that is nowhere near my modems IP address range. My modems range is 192.168.2.10-250 but sometimes it will take an IP of something insane that doesn't even match any of those numbers. can't give you the exact numbers but an example of how weird it looked would be something like 164.90.100.38 or something nutz like it, forcing me to switch to static IP. I have never had this issue on any of my xbox's, I look at my stack of dead ones, 7 high off the floor and none of them acted like this. If I put them on auto IP, they worked fine, if I put them on static IP, they worked fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

So with UPnP enabled your NAT status keeps changing is that right?

If so I would disable UPnP and enter a static ip address into the Xbox and forward the ports to it, choose an ip address that is far away from anything that the router would allocate from its DHCP pool, an address outside of the DHCP if possible:-

portforward.com/.../Xbox_Live_360.htm

If that doesn't work, remove the port forwarding and set-up the DMZ with the ip address you have configured.

If your NAT still changes with a DMZ (it shouldn't) turn off the DMZ and use the advanced DMZ and enter the mac address of the Xbox

Also I believe that router is supplied with its firewall turned off, is it still off?

Sorry this didn't help.