New xbox 360 to unburden the old

My old xbox 360 with 20 GB HDD is getting a bit tired and the HDD is full. I'm considering purchasing a new xbox slim with 120 GB HDD. But I've got a couple of questions. I want to keep the old one in the basement and the new in the living room.

1. Can I use the same xbox live gold subscription on the new xbox as well as the old? Or do I need to purchase a new one / transfer my account back and forth every time I change where I'm playing?

2.  What about all the Games on demand and market place games I've purchased. Can I move them between the boxes (redownload on new box)? Can I have them on both boxes at the same time (but not playing at the same time)?

3. Anything I need to be aware of? If it's a lot of hassle perhaps I'll go for a PS3 instead. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

1)  Yes.  Simply move you gamertag from the hard drive onto a USB stick.  Now you can plug that USB stick into either console, an use the gamertag there.

2) Yes (kinda).  Downloaded content has two DRM licences.  One is for the account that bought it, and the other is for the console the content was bought on.  You can play the downloaded content on another console, but you will only be able to on your gamertag, not on a second gamertag.   When you play the downloaded content on the console you bought it, every gamertag on that console can access it.

3) I mentioned using a USB stick for your gamertag in point #1, you can also move saved games that way.  Also, if you do want to move the DRM (for the console) to the new console, you can Here is an FAQ.  Just be aware that you can not transfer it back to the old console for 121 days (4 months).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="paaland3"]I'm considering purchasing a new xbox slim with 120 GB HDD.[/quote]There is no 360 S SKU that bundles a 120GB HDD. There is a 360 s 4GB which comes with a 4GB internal USB Memory Unit and there's a 360 S 250GB which comes with a 250GB HDD.

Anyone attempting to sell you a 120GB HDD for a 360 S is selling an unauthorized drive. You'll be risking a console ban by using it.[quote]do I need to purchase a new one / transfer my account back and forth every time I change where I'm playing?[/quote]A Gold account can be used on any 360, but only one at a time. It isn't possible to log into Live on the same Gold account from more than one PC/360 simultaneously.[quote]2.  What about all the Games on demand and market place games I've purchased. Can I move them between the boxes (redownload on new box)?[/quote]Yes.[quote]Can I have them on both boxes at the same time (but not playing at the same time)?[/quote]Yes. The console you transfer the license to will allow any profile to access the content. All subsequent consoles will only allow use of the DLC by your gamertag.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.