New Wireless Router?

Ok , so im thinking about getting a new wireless router because right now im using my DSL modem/router combo my ISP gave me and its a piece of *** that doesnt even give me connections upstairs. But what i wanted to check was if i get a new router , can i disable the router part on my modem/router, and just make the new router give out wireless and wired connections? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

So I ordered a Linksys e1000 wireless n router... And to make my dsl modem/router combo not give out wireless signals do I just go to the modems weboage ( by typing in the IP address) and just click disable wireless , and will this automatically put my Linksys router to be the one to give out wireless? Also the router I got is a n router , but it supports b and g devices too, now if I have a white xbox wireless adapter( which I think is g wireless) it should work right ?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What your asking for is very likely that it will be impossible. Your asking if that a router/modem device can have it partially disabled and be combined with a linksys e1000 router as a replacement... To sum up on the network jargin i could throw out: The router/modem "all-in-one" device works as one entity, therefore if you replace that unit with a router, you're also going to need a seperate modem to go with your Linksys e 1000. You can not (on legal and networking terms) partially disable a combo router/modem and have a seperate linksys router as a attachment and make it work.

I would definetly your ISP a consult before setting up a network with different hardware.

Sorry this didn't help.

No I was wondering if I can make the modem/router not use the router part at all just the modem part, and my wireless router as the wireless router ... ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its like i said, you can't just disable the router part from a router/modem , or "an all-in-one unit." You would end up making it competely unusable because it works as one whole device with its own unique set of factory settings and so on and would not be able to communicate with your linksys e 1000 (or any other device for that matter). Get a seperate stand-alone modem to go with your Linksys e 1000, its the only way it will work. Which type/brand of modem or service you decide to implement will be up to you.

Sorry this didn't help.