New wireless modem connection problems.

So I just purchased an Actiontec gt784wn wireless modem and now I can barely connect to Live. When I can connect to live it's very slow to do so and I'm not able to play any games online. Other times I just get the generic problem connecting, contact the support page error. I'm connecting wirelessly with WPA/WPA2 encryption, UPnP is turned on, my firewall is set to NAT only and I believe that's open (not really sure how to check). I'm using an original xBox with a white external adapter. Any help?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

Well buying a new router and having slow connection is common. You will have to open your ports on your router. You can do so by either calling them or going to the routers website. If this step does not work then it could be that the router is just not good at all meaning it is a cheap router. I hope this helps! Have a great rest of your day and hope to see you on xbox soon.

-TG TRYHARD

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I opened the ports, gave it a static IP and it's still slow. I got an error on the NAT being moderate so I added the IP to the DMZ list and it's still slow. I don't think it is a cheap router (wasn't cheep to buy), all the reviews were good on it and I haven't seen any issues like this.

As I said before, I can connect to live but I'm not able to play any games and connecting is just really slow.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please read:- forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

And post back your details in full (the bits that are in bold on that post) so that people may help

If you are wireless can you also state whether you are using the white or black external adapter or the Xbox 360S Internal adapter

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry I guess I didn't make that info clearer in the first post.

What Country/State/Province do you live in: Colorado, US

Modem brand & model number: Actiontec GT784-WN

Router brand & model number: Actiontec GT784-WN

Network Connection Type: Wireless

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using: WEP, I have also tried WPA/WPA2 with no change

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter: White Adapter for original xBox

Things you have tried: Port forwarding, Static IP, Changing encrypting type, changing wireless channel, Including static IP in DMZ Hosting.

Is UPnP Enabled: Yes

Is NAT Type Open: I had gotten an error about moderate NAT. After adding Static IP to DMZ error was gone.

Any Error Codes you encounter:

What type of internet do you have? DSL

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Quest

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? Now that I can connect to the internet but I can't get to live. When I was able to get to live I got no message but I couldn't play any games.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok turn off UPnP as the DMZ is already doing what UPnP is. Also as you are wireless try changing the wireless channel on the router that can help:- www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../114-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried that. No such luck. I came across this post: www.pcworld.idg.com.au/.../329004. I was wondering if you think that sense with me switching to an N router, do I need to have the N adapter?

Sorry this didn't help.

First of all I would go wired as a test to ensure its nothing to do with the new router

Sorry this didn't help.

If you login to your actiontek router and click on advanced setup, on the left hand side you'll see a subheading for "security" and the 3rd item down is "applications."  Click on that, and then 1)you'll pick your device from the dropdown menu  and 2) choose "game consoles" from the application category dropdown and choose "xbox" from the applications dropdown menu.  Next click "apply" and that should apply a special rule for your router to follow that will make it work for you.

Sorry this didn't help.