New update problem

So, this was originally a problem that started at the back end of last year, but has continued up 'til now as I still haven't found a fix. It all started with a prompt to download a new update last October-ish, which was all fine and dandy until 30 minutes or so after the install had finished my session of Fifa 14 was brought swiftly to an end by a random freeze screen during gameplay. I figured it was nothing, because freezing is a common occurrence every now and then. Sadly, though, this was actually a far bigger problem than I initially thought it to be. In short, the xbox will boot up normally most of the time(though sometimes there's no xbox logo screen) only to shortly after be met with a white box with the message: "Can't update console. Please visit www.xbox.com/support", followed by an error code, which I can't remember right now, but will post later on if needs be. Also, I can't connect my wireless controller to the console; both the xbox and the controller itself will proceed with the routine, flashing green light, but nothing happens afterwards. If I connect the wired-internet cable, sometimes the console will try to update, only to then be promptly thrown back to the "Cannot Update Console" screen.

What makes this all the more frustrating is that the console had nothing wrong with it prior to the update, which leads me to believe it was indeed the update that caused the problem. As I stated, it was only roughly 30 minutes after the update that the console froze and proceeded to give the error messages on the following boot-ups.

Any fixes for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

Sorry to hear it.  Which console are you using (FAT, S or E)?  What is the size of the hard drive?  Have you tried removing the hard drive or using a different hard drive and restarting the console?  A lot of times freezing and not being able to update are issues with the hard drive itself.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

^It's the arcade one(I think); the standard, white xbox 360, with the silver disc tray. The hard drive is a 120gb version, and yes, we have tried other hard drives, but to no avail, though I don't think that's the problem, as each hard drive works just fine on the other console. I have also tried removing all power cables etc. to see if that does anything, but nothing. We have tried literally everything on and off over the past year, just for a sign that we can maybe revive the thing. lol

It's as though said update has plagued the console and completely shut the thing down. I have never witnessed an xbox 360 console act so bizarrely as to start up and instantly give you an error message of "Can't Update Console". It's too strange.

I must also add that opening and closing the disc tray sometimes causes the console to attempt to update(just like if I insert/remove the wired internet cable), though it never manages to make it past the 75% mark. So yeah, I'm stumped as to what could be causing such strange behavior patterns.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info.  The issue here may be due to age.  The FAT consoles are very old and, as such, yours may be on it's last legs.  It's not something that would have been caused by the update but merely coincidence that the console chose that moment to stop working.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, there's nothing that can be done to help with the issue as the older FAT consoles are no longer available for service due to their extreme age.

The only thing I could suggest now is to either upgrade to the newer S or E console and get an official 360 transfer cable to transfer the content over or look into getting an Xbox One as a lot of the 360 content is being made backwards compatible now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Original Fat 360 just become classic now.. I recommend what onyxishere say.  S or E console is best recommended and you can play the classic original xbox (old fashioned "X" with green botton on the top). Be advise the E version just decommissioned, better get the S version it's more flexible than E version. GameStop have lot of S version consoles either pre-owned or refurbished.

Sorry this didn't help.