New to this whole thing

I'm trying to connect for the first time - I just bought my first xbox. So, here are my questions: the guy at the store said I get one month free membership, but how do I get it? I don't see any kind of redemption code in the box so am I missing something? Also (and this may be related), when I type in my e-mail address and password on the tv screen I get a message that tells me "this gamertag is alreay in use" (or something like that), and I don't know what to do about that. I "claimed" a gamertag and it's under my name/account, so I don't get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

To get the free month you have to create a brand new account on the console. During the account creation it asks if you want to Join Live. Say yes and it shows all the options for purchasing Gold. Choose "Upgrade Later" and it gives you the free month. You can do this for up to 3 gamertags.

If you're trying to sign in with a gamertag you created online or somewhere else, you would need to follow the steps from here to recover the gamertag - support.xbox.com/.../gamer-profile

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.