New To 360 And I Have Questions

I just bought this 360 a few days ago and still trying to get used to it. I've had Sony systems since '95 but my kids finally broke me down enough that I bought them a 360. So far I'm satisfied with it, I'm still having a little trouble accepting that I paid as much for it as I did my PS3s...I just don't understand how MS justifies that, but whatever.

Anyway, I'm totally lost with the whole Xbox Live and Xbox Live Gold thing. With Sony we got PSN that let us download anything we wanted and play anything we wanted online for free but then we can upgrade to PSN+ and get extra stuff if we want. Xbox Live doesn't appear to work the same way. So here are a few questions, if someone would help answer it would be great.

1) What does Xbox Live allow us to do exactly?

2) Can I watch Netflix movies with just a Live account or do I have to pay for the Gold for this service? 

3) Can we chat with others with the Live account or is Gold required for this?

4) Are any games playable online with the basic Live account or is Gold necessary to play anything online?

5) I bought the 4GB system and planned to upgrade the HDD later. Right now I'm using USB drives for storage but would like to put in a 250GB HDD I have...can I just use my HDD or do I have to buy the overpriced Xbox one?

Thanks for any answers!

I'm trying to get used to this UI and everything else but the Live account is really confusing to me. I would like to think that there's something in here to justify the price tag but so far this thing seems to be a money pit...Buy once and then pay forever to actually use it. I don't mean to sound bitter but...well...at this point I suppose I am a little.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Also, how do you double space in this forum? Every post I write ends up being a wall of text because even though I double space my paragraphs, it doesn't come out that way when it publishes.

[quote user="TheDigitalDoom"]1) What does Xbox Live allow us to do exactly?[/quote]Play games online (with a Gold sub), purchase games and game content as well as movies and music. Use various apps, which almost always require a Gold sub.

[quote user="TheDigitalDoom"]2) Can I watch Netflix movies with just a Live account or do I have to pay for the Gold for this service?[/quote]As with almost all the entertainment apps a Gold subscription to LIVE is required on top of any other membership fees they may have.

[quote user="TheDigitalDoom"]3) Can we chat with others with the Live account or is Gold required for this?[/quote]You can one to one chat with people as a free Silver member but for Party Chat a Gold subscription is required. You can send text messages through the console as a Silver member but to do so through xbox.com requires a Gold sub.

[quote user="TheDigitalDoom"]4) Are any games playable online with the basic Live account or is Gold necessary to play anything online?[/quote]As far as I can recall the only game you can play online as a free Silver member is Final Fantasy XI, which is an MMO and requires its own subscription.

[quote user="TheDigitalDoom"]5) I bought the 4GB system and planned to upgrade the HDD later. Right now I'm using USB drives for storage but would like to put in a 250GB HDD I have...can I just use my HDD or do I have to buy the overpriced Xbox one?[/quote]You'll have to buy an official Microsoft hard drive I'm afraid. Most people agree that they are horribly over-priced.

[quote user="TheDigitalDoom"]

Also, how do you double space in this forum? Every post I write ends up being a wall of text because even though I double space my paragraphs, it doesn't come out that way when it publishes.[/quote]Go into Rich Formatting and hold down the Shift key when you press Enter.

Otherwise you can space paragraphs out like this.

-

Which isn't as nice looking but means you can stick to the quick reply box. 

TheDigitalDoom, not to come off the wrong way but you purchased a Product and hence further Paid for a Service with little to no understanding of other then being able to "compare" it to a another Platform? Help me out here but Xbox LIVE has only been a Paid Service for about 10 years?

Thank you for the speedy reply. As each day passes and I learn more about this system...well, let's just say I'm glad I'm still within the 30 day refund period. While I'm happy with the games themselves on Xbox, I'm having a very difficult time justifying all the cost involved with this system. I can't believe that I'm not even able to watch movies on my Netflix account without paying Microsoft to do so.

I seriously can't believe that there are so many people happy with the way things work on Xbox.

If you cannot justify or find means for the purchase of something that's one thing but to state you seriously can't believe other people enjoy what they have purchased is a bit of a stretch.

Only you can determine what is worth it for you, not others. It sounds like maybe you should decide prior to any grace period that might expire for a refund. By all means, if you're not happy with your decision you should do something that will correct this. Xbox LIVE Gold has been Paid and will be Paid and the Apps are Paid all this time. It should not have been any surprise.

I guess I just take too much for granted with what I've been playing on.

I knew that Live Gold was a "pay for" service, I just had no idea that you couldn't do anything on this system without paying for it. I really don't mean to "compare"...that's not my intention. It's just that the only experience I have with current gen consoles is PS3 (and PC).

I'm not trying to offend anyone, just trying to get used to and understand how the whole thing works. And while it may be nothing new to any of you who have been gaming on this system for the past 10 years, it's all brand new to me. Maybe if I had no other experience to "compare" to I might be having a little easier time understanding but knowing what I know, it's a little shocking to find this all out.

One other question: I see 2 different Live Gold options available for purchase. One is $59/yr and the other is a "family" Gold plan and it's $99/yr. What's the difference?

No problem but for the Family or Gold Profile look here (or any Profile).

To keep it fairly short..

1,2,3,4.. You need to buy an Xbox Live Gold Subscription to Enable Gold Related Content or Applications in the Xbox Live Marketplace (DLC, Apps like NetFlix etc), Play any Online Multiplayer Games, Chat in a party with other friends or Game Chat with people in Multiplayer Game Lobbies (which can join Party Chat), Watch Zune or NetFlix Movies content, to join Xbox Live Rewards & earn Microsoft Points..  

5. You will need to buy a 320GB Xbox360 Slim like this one for US$89.99

www.ozgameshop.com/.../official-320gb-internal-media-hard-drive-xbox-360

I apologize, I didn't mean to say that others shouldn't enjoy what they've purchased...to each his own. I should have phrased that differently. What I should have said is that I can't believe Microsoft takes such advantage of it's customers. Wait....yes I can....it's Microsoft! LOL!

Seriously though, I honestly don't mean to offend anyone. If you're happy with things and think you're getting good value for your money then that's your opinion...enjoy. I'm just having a difficult time wrapping my brain around this whole thing. I never really paid much attention to Xbox or anything having to do with it until I bought one for myself. Just a little bit of sticker shock on my part I guess.

I really just wanted to try and find out what services come with the console purchase and what services cost extra. The console didn't really come with any info at all and the sales person I bought it from was less than helpful. Forums are usually where I get most of the information I want about nearly any topic.