new controller won't pair up with the Xbox console

Hi, I followed the instruction to pair up the controller.  When I push the console "pair" button. is the "ring of light" supposed to be spinning like the controller?  When I push both pair button (console and controller) the console's light stays unchanged.  while the controller light was spinning a few times then goes back blinking -- meaning un paired.  I got a sense that my console is not sending signal (spining).  How can I correct it.  I know the console is functioning because it is still paired with the original wireless controllers.   by the way, the original controller that comes with the console is identical to the new controller.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Hi AnimateCoyote8,

Are you holding in the button on the console? I think you need to hold it for a few seconds.

The lights should be spinning the same as the controller when it's looking for a signal.

Also, if you have a play and charge kit, you can plug the controller in using that and it will sync the two together.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you're using an HDMI connection between the Xbox 360 and the TV, it might be that. When using HDMI, the Xbox won't boot up until it knows what the TV is capable of displaying. Although the controller will turn the console on, it won't sync with the console -- and it's not a controller or console problem, but just a symptom of the fact that the Xbox won't get to the point where controllers will sync until it can properly communicate with the TV. I'd recommend turning off the TV and the Xbox, disconnecting the HDMI cable and re-connecting it after making sure the contacts are clean. Then turn the Xbox back on first; you'll likely to see the same behavior. Finally, turn the TV back on. With it being switched back into HDMI mode, it just might "kick-start" the Xbox into a good communication link across HDMI. Hope that helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.