New Console S turning on and off by-itself

Hello,

Im having a really big problem here, i have a brand new S console that i had bought in December. the past few weeks it has been turning on all by itself, im not sitting on a remote, there is no other type of radio or other interference, the unit is placed laying down well spaced and ventilated, cleaned and dusted regularly.  when the unit turns on by itself, it is running in 480, when it should be running 1080p. it still signs me in to xbox live and has all my saves and stuff though my video settings have to be reset. though by the time i get in to switching it back over to 1080p the unit shuts itself off. i then repeat this process for about 5 to 10 minutes. the unit turning on and off all on it's own. i have read in another forum that turning off the auto-off option then turning off your unit for 10 minutes should fix this.....did not work. the unit is receiving enough power as the brick is lit appropriately, the only other option i see is sending the unit in to be fixed. this is very disappointing as this is my 3rd xbox, my first S, though i figured problems like this would be fixed. again this is a brand new not even 6 month old box played regularly but nothing that is above average that "seizes" by turning itself on and off for 10 minutes. as im writing this now the unit just turned on all on it's own. im not fat assing the remote, and no outside interference that i can at least figure out. any one other then me having this occur, any feedback would be great too.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

This is a far stretch but it could be your HDMI cable, assuming you are using one. If you have another one try using it on your 360 and see what happens. This probably will not work but it is worth a try.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I recommend trying a different wall outlet (also, be sure you're not plugged in through a surge protector!), to see if that does resolves the issue.
If that doesn't resolve the issue, then the console will likely need repair. If your console was purchased new six months ago, it will be covered under warranty. You can set your repair up here.

Sorry this didn't help.

i forgot to mention that i had also thought about the hdmi i did replace them but to no avail, yes the unit is directly plugged into the wall, i even checked with a voltage meter to see if the proper amount of electricity is good enough. I am just going to have to send it in

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you try cleaning the touch sencers that turn off the console such as the power button or eject button. There may be fingerprints that are on them activating the sencers

Sorry this didn't help.

i think i might have found the issue, i said i had heard of reseting the auto off option, well i did that and it did not work, and i did not want to turn off the auto off option just incase. well in the midst of another "seizure" of on again off agin, i disabled the auto off option and the system seemed to stop this. it was acting up so badly that it took me 4 or 5 tries just to get to the option without it shutting off of starting up. usually these actions last around 10 to 15 minutes, but within 5 minutes of shutting off the option it stopped turning on by itself. it's been about 30 minutes now and as im writing it has stayed off. is there anybody reading this that can get this problem into the right hands and maybe look into this. im really willing to bet that i am not the only one having this problem, like i said i keep my unit clean dust free and spaced enough to get plenty of fresh air, im not a hacker i dont cheat or mod, i have looked at every option including ones suggested in this discussion, amongst others, this is the last ditch effort here, and we could possibly be on to something here, ill keep posting the latest with any flair up's, as of now before i switched "auto off" off, flair up's occurred almost every other day. ill post in a few days for any follow up's, if anybody that works for microsoft is reading this please look into the auto off feature as it might be flawed!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.