Network issues

Hello,

Thank you in advance for your help on my network problems.

Here is the problem:

My xbox is having connectivity issues.  It takes a long time just to get to the xbox dashboard. Then it sometimes does not even connect to xbox live (it is supposed to automatically). Then it takes an even longer time to sign into my profile (which is also set to do automatically but it wont). So i connect to my portfolio and xbox live. It says it is working just fine when i run the network tests (even my NAT is open). I try playing Halo 4 online matchmaking, it acts really slow.  A few times i have actually gotten into a game or two and played, but it was really laggy both times and eventually kicked me out with an error saying:

"some xbox live content is temporarily unavailable" Status code: 80072ee2

Here is my set up and the resolutions i have tried:

I have a Motorola sbg6580 modem. I connect to the xbox wirelessly. I tried moving my modem closer; practically on top of my xbox to resolve any interference.

I tried connecting a ethernet cable (CAT 5e) but the xbox would not recognize the cable.  I know the cable is fine because i can use it to connect my computer to the internet.

this problem has been going on for a long time now. I cannot play online because of it.  I thought it might be an issue with the august system update, so i tried every possible way to download it. I:

tested my xbox live connection, it did not prompt me to download anything.

burnt the download to a disk, put it in my disk tray, rebooted the xbox, it would not do anything with it, Just labled it as a "mixed media disk".

put the download file onto an flashdrive, the xbox required that i format the flashdrive, so i did. then i put the flashdrive back into my computer to put the download file back on it, and the flashdrive was completely full with whatever the xbox put on there to make it compatible. So that didn't work

tried re-downloading my portfolio

clearing my cache

and of course, i already restarted my modem 100 times.

i am getting desperate. I will just cancel my xbox live subscription and get a playstation if this forum does not get me anywhere. I have had enough.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Hey there!  OK a few things.

1. That does indeed sound really frustrating, but I bet there are things we can do to help!  From what you're describing, it doesn't sound like it's a network issue (since menus and such run slowly), but just in case, the first thing I'm going to link you is the Troubleshoot Xbox Live connectivity problems.

2. Now, what's leading you to believe you need to reinstall the update?  Is the console saying something about that specifically?

3. Let's see if it's something hardware related.  Can you please try removing all accessories (including the hard drive if you have one) and connecting to Live again? 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

1.       I think you are right, it probably is not a network issue.  I do not receive any error message when checking my network connection; the network, internet, and xbox live are all connected just fine.

2.       I received an error message, “80072ee2” that led me to this forum on xbox support, support.xbox.com/.../software-update-errors It told me that my problem was that the update could not be downloaded from xbox live.  I checked when the download was issues, and it was right around the same time that my xbox started lagging out (August 26, 2013).

3.       Ah ah! Now that is interesting.  I disconnected the hard drive and turned it on.  Before it booted up,  I was prompted to get a system update. However, I need 190 mb of free space… so, I plugged the hard drive back on. But then it does not update and is still slow.  Do I need a new hard drive? and will that erase my xboxlive account?

Thank you again for your help,

Jeremiah (AuthenticBus)

Sorry this didn't help.

Follow up:

I plugged in a formatted 16 gb flash drive into the usb port and turned it on (without the hard drive).  It let me perform the system download, but then it did not work and it gave me this status code when it finished.

status code 409900003080050480072af9

which does not exist anywhere on the internet according to google. I am in the process of trying again right now...

Sorry this didn't help.

Additional Follow up:

The update seemed to work the second time; however, the problem is still there. It loads menus very slowly and lags out of games. I tested the xbox live connection and everything was up and running perfectly again, but when i exited out to the xbox dashboard, it loaded for about 5 minutes and then showed the error message:

"some xbox live content is temporarily unavailable" Status code: 80072ee2

I am stumped.  What is the problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bus,

Sorry to hear about the poor connection.

I would suggest running through our Xbox Live slow performance solution. There are some great steps in there that may help resolve this. 

Let us know how that goes, or if you have anymore questions.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like the hard drive is on it's way out. Have you tried clearing the system cache?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings!
[quote user="AuthenticBus"]I tried connecting a ethernet cable (CAT 5e) but the xbox would not recognize the cable.  I know the cable is fine because i can use it to connect my computer to the internet.[/quote]Even though this cable works with your computers connectivity, do you have the option where you could try connect your console with a different Ethernet cable? Also, try connect to a different LAN port on your wireless gateway.

Make sure you restore Xbox network settings to factory defaults. Go to Xbox network settings and select Configure Network. Select the Additional Settings tab. Select Restore network settings to factory defaults. Press "B" on your controller and select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I have bought an Xbox one and I travel 8 days at a time for work. I take my Xbox with me for internet, movies, and gaming. However every hotel I stay at I have to call the front desk internet provider and Xbox to connect to there WiFi with little success. I had a PlayStation 3 and never had an issue but, now I have to announce to everyone working in the hotel that I brought a $500 game system with me for everyone to steal just to try and connect to the internet. I think it is ridiculous that Xbox support and the internet provider on a conference call cannot get me connected to the internet due to the prestigious Xbox one and its inability to due what a PlayStation 3 could due. Please fix this issue with a download or I like many other people I'm sure will go back to a PlayStation 4 which I'm sure isn't having this problem considering that there last console never had this problem. I'm not saying the Xbox one isn't awesome. I would be lying to say otherwise but, when you have one of the best games ever like Titanfall which is strictly an online game and you can't get online it is a little disappointing. Please fix or at least let me and others know that you are working on a fix.

Sorry this didn't help.