Network bridge HELP please

I have been trying and trying and TRYING to connect to Xbox Live via ethernet cord running from my laptop through a bridged connection. (Long story short, my college's internet sucks for Xbox Live, my laptop gets great internet [though I'm not sure if the connection gets split when sharing internet from the laptop] and my husband and I can't afford our own internet right now.) So I got the networks bridged and working beautifully (my laptop is running Windows 7). So I go and test the connection and it says it connected to Xbox Live. Awesome. I go to sign in, and it tells me I can't connect to Xbox Live. I go "Okay..." so I go back and test the connection again and it says it's connecting to Xbox Live. I try to sign in again, still no Xbox Live. I go in, restore the additional network settings to factory defaults, then test the connection again. It can connect to the network and the internet this time, but no XBL. So out of curiosity, I do another test. Success. It says it connects. I try to log in, and I connect! Then disconnect. And so on. It seems every third time I test the network, it connects to Xbox Live. So wtf? Is it a glitch or...? Does anyone have suggestions?

When I click "more info" whenever the test fails, the message varies. I've seen everything from "It could be your ISP" to "It could be your firewall"; it's not very consistent. I don't know who the ISP is, but I will probably ask tomorrow and call the company and ask if they have any suggestions. I don't think it's my firewall, but I'm not 100% positive. On the Xbox website, it lists certain ports to make sure are open; I don't know how to open those specific ports in Windows Firewall. I have tried adding ports, and all it lists are programs installed/downloaded on my computer.

Currently, I am streaming Netflix on my Xbox on low quality, so obviously I'm connected right now, but who knows for how long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 46 Applies to:

I'm not sure how to do sharing; I tried that first and I think I gave up because no one's instructions helped. But I'll look again when I get back from class this afternoon. I doubt it will work, either though. When I tried connecting wirelessly, it told me the connection had insufficient MTU settings. Is that something they could adjust? Do you think they would? Is it hard? We've gone six months now without XBL and it feels like a major waste of money, so we're looking for any solution, especially since Gears comes out tonight! :P

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, well you could try using ICS(Sharing) instead but I doubt it will help because you are connected and it looks like an intermittent issue, I think you would have to speak to the College network admins or whoever runs the Internet connetion

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, many people get the terms confused so just check, there is "bridging" where you select two adapters, right click and choose "Bridge connections" and there is ICS Internet Connection Sharing, where you select your Internet facing adapter right click and choose "Share this connection".

Which are you using ICS or actual bridging?  I will say though, if this is a college network any issues are likely to be outside of your control

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem :)

Sorry this didn't help.

These guides cover both bridging and sharing :-

support.microsoft.com/.../978618

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/xbox-ics-bridging-guide

MTU issues at college networks are usually down to the device not being registered on the network or Xbox live ports being blocked, also have a look through here but like I say if you can connect ok sometimes I'm not sure it will help www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../103-how-to-connect-to-xbox-live-at-uni-or-college

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay. I'll check those out later today. Thanks for the help. I'll also be calling the computer lab to see if they have any suggestions.

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually bridged the connection (combining two networks). I'm pretty sure that there is nothing I can do, but I figured I would ask here to see if anyone had any ideas. I read that I would need a networking cable or something; I just got a regular ethernet cable. Would that make a difference?

Sorry this didn't help.