Netflix = Disconnections from Xbox Live

I can use the Xbox for gaming, watching Crackle, Zune, listening to music, etc.  Works great.

As soon as I try to use Netflix, I start to have issues.  First, it prompts me to switch profiles or Upgrade to Gold (even though I already have a Gold membership).  I switch profiles to the SAME DAMN PROFILE I'M ALREADY LOGGED INTO, and it connects.

I can then browse movies for a while before then being disconnected from Xbox Live (content stops loading, I close Netflix and receive a message that I was disconnected from Xbox Live).  This will happen while browsing or streaming, but ONLY AN ISSUE WITH NETFLIX.

I can test the connection and have to disconnect and reconnect, then it works again unless I go to Netflix.

So, what is the fix?  Yes, I've removed Netflix and re-downloaded.  I know the connection is fine because it is connected just fine except when using Netflix.  I can also use PC's on the network for Netflix without issue.

The issue is simply Netflix and Xbox....which is the only method I want to use for Netflix. 

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2018 Views 22 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey there Pahcko!
I've seen this before with users having problem with Netflix saying they need to upgrade to gold. The solutions varies from case to case. Try the following troubleshooting steps to see if it solves anything.

Clear the Xbox system cache
Delete your profile (delete profile only) and redownload your Xbox LIVE profile.

If your still stuck. Access your router's web-config page and look up a feature called UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is it already enabled? If yes, try another method to open network ports, Port Forwarding. Note If you configure your router to open network ports with Port Forwarding make sure to disable UPnP. Otherwise it will be a conflict between these two.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Tried clearing the cache.  After deleting the profile, I at least made it through a whole TV show on Netflix....then was disconnected again.

Now I get Netflix error R8102-101, but I am not using a VPN and I'm not disconnected from Xbox live.

What pisses me off is that I can use my iPad, iPhones, gaming PC, media PC, etc. just fine without any issues.  I can stream a Zune or Crackle movie just fine too.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you make sure UPnP is turned on? Could you try once again to delete the Netflix app and make sure there are no contents left associated with Netflix and then download the app.

What is the mark and model name of your modem/router? Are you connected using a wireless or wired connection?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, I don't use UPnP.  It is not a good method to open ports as an application could open any port using it.

I have the ports forwarded manually, and it has worked just fine for everything I need to do.  Is there a netflix specific port?

I use wireless and it works fine for everything, except Netflix on the Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Netflix uses 80 and 443 TCP**

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm talking about for port forwarding Hassassinade.  I'm not hosting a website here, I'm trying to allow Netflix traffic  through if needed as it doesn't appear to work.

I have been watching just fine using a PC in the same location, connected to the same wireless access point, without any issues.  I can use the Xbox just fine for everything else I use, just not for Netflix.  It stops streaming, I get disconnected from Xbox live, and I have to manually disconnect and re-connect to the AP to get connected back to Xbox live.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, Pahcko. The error code you mentioned is actually a known code. Have you had a chance to check out Netflix's official support page about it: support.netflix.com/.../1034 ? I would recommend trying the troubleshooting steps there first. Give it a shot and let us know if that helps resolve things. Standing by!

Sorry this didn't help.

I did already look at that page and ruled out everything there, except connecting directly to the Internet by connecting the Xbox directly to my modem.  I'm not going to do that as I know I can stream Netflix perfectly fine over wireless within that same room to the Wii or a PC.  I can also stream Zune, Crackle, or even Hulu with the Xbox just fine.  

Netflix is the only issue.  I suspect poor programming on their part, but then again...it works fine on all devices I own besides the Xbox.

There are no IP conflicts, I have all the ports forwarded as recommended by Microsoft (unless there are specific ports for streaming Netflix that I am not aware of), and it works......for about 10 minutes when streaming stops, Netflix does nothing, and I'm disconnected from Xbox live.  I have ruled out interference from other devices and equipment in the room by powering them off.

I do remember Netflix used to show devices you have added and you could receive a number to enter in.  I don't see any number to enter in at all when I go to my Netflix account so I'm wondering if it's not deleting the previous device added over a year ago.  Back then Netflix streamed to this same Xbox in the same room, with the same Access Point just fine.

I deleted all references to Netflix on the device, and removed all devices from my Netflix account, then re-downloaded and connected to my account on the Xbox.

"...Disconnect Devices

This disconnects all Netflix-ready devices from your Netflix account.

You can use this if you no longer have access to a device.

If you select this option, you will have to log in again on any other devices to re-connect them to your Netflix account...." - account.netflix.com/ManageDevices

Sorry this didn't help.

Buy an Apple TV.  They work better.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Pahcko! I'm sorry we missed your post! It would  help us if you could try that wired connection just to pinpoint where the issue lies, it would only be temporary! If you could try directly to the router and then to the modem this would let us get a better idea of the issue at hand. Doing this will also give us steady results for the test I'm about to ask you to do:

• Can you please, on your PC, open up a command prompt (do this by pressing Windowskey+R, then typing "cmd" and pressing OK).

• In that black window please type: ping www.bing.com –t and press Enter (or any website).

• You should see a constant stream of replies.

• Now if you could go to your console and stream Netflix until it disconnects. Once you get disconnected, go to your PC and look at the replys. Did the numbers fluxu and get bigger? Or does it say something completely different? If necessary scroll up a bit and see if there are changes before your disconnection happened. Let us know what you experience! 

Thank you! 

Sorry this didn't help.