NERFING: Kinda feels illegal to me

Hey People,

I'm not sure if its justified but to me I feel disrespected.  The whole situation of the company changing the product after purchase, for example I see it as buying a bicycle from a retail store, a month later the retail store/ bicycle company goes to your house and changes the seat, the brakes and wheels.  If you don't accept there changes (accept update) you can not use your bicycle off your property (can't use online) and your stuck riding your bike up and down your driveway (short solo campaign).

I used to play CoD but since the guns keep changing stats I sold them to a friend, I always played the Battlefield series and now they are nerfing which kills the total realism and point of the series.  I can't think of other major nerfing in games, besides Mass Effect 3 and STILL I hear complaining about the gun stats (while there is no real guns to compare them to, you might as well nerf lightsabers in the next Star Wars games because "the lightsaber is to over powered and blah blah blah)

Anybody else think this way or might have a different opinion? 

I can see balancing a gun or two, but changing everything is terrible.  I think I'm still stuck in the 90's, when a game was released the gameplay was set in stone.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I like that things get updated, but that's just me. I don't understand this nerfing thing, I've never heard of that before.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="Motley4life"]

The whole situation of the company changing the product after purchase, for example I see it as buying a bicycle from a retail store, a month later the retail store/ bicycle company goes to your house and changes the seat, the brakes and wheels.  If you don't accept there changes (accept update) you can not use your bicycle off your property (can't use online) and your stuck riding your bike up and down your driveway (short solo campaign).

[/quote]

Hello Motley4life,

Just to clarify, while you may see purchasing a game like the above, the reality is very different.  When you purchase a game (or any piece of software), you do not purchase the game itself, but rather a license to use said software.  You do not own any video game.

If you read the End User License agreement, which you agree to when purchasing this license (your copy of the game), you'll see somewhere in that legal mumbo jumbo that the publisher and developer have the right to alter or even revoke the software at any time for any reason without any prior notice.

Thus, there is no "disrespect" occurring, and in this case Activision is well within it's legal rights.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Jameser78"]

I like that things get updated, but that's just me. I don't understand this nerfing thing, I've never heard of that before.

[/quote]

In game terms, "nerfing" means to reduce the power of a weapon, spell, class, etc.  It's a term that rose to prominence in the later '90's, if not even earlier.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

Well you seem to have this directed right at the FPS games so I say to you,  Play hardcore mode 1 shot one kill.

Sorry this didn't help.

I like it when they make it more even or "nerfing".  the thing that gets me is when a dude shoots me with a shotty from 50ft away and I die. while I shot him with a scar/ACR and it doesn't kill him

Sorry this didn't help.