Need to switch gold accounts

I am currently on a family account that expires tomorrow, so I was trying to buy my own single gold account today and it won't allow me. I wanted to start this new one before our gold account expires. How do I accomplish this? This is all on the same console.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The family account is under my wife's account, so when I go to my account and click on manage payment options, it says "This option is restricted to the primary member of this gold family pack".

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok you are wanting to add a credit card to your account right? In order to do this you would need to follow these instructions to leave the family pack: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/parental-controls/managing-family-members

Remove a member from the Gold Family Pack

The primary account can remove any member from the Gold Family Pack. Secondary accounts can remove only themselves from a Family Pack.

• If you remove a member from your Gold Family Pack, the account is downgraded to an Xbox LIVE Free Membership.

• After being removed, the account is still under parental control. See the remove parental controls topic later on this page.

Console steps: Remove a member from a Gold Family Pack

1. On your console, sign in to Xbox LIVE with the primary account for the Gold Family Pack.

1. Go to Settings, and then select Family.
    1. Select the member you want to remove from the Gold Family Pack.

1. Go to Account Management, and then select Remove From Gold Family Pack.
  1. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the member from the Gold Family Pack. When prompted, confirm the removal
Once removed from the family pack you can then go back to your account and add the credit card so that your tag will stay gold. 
In order for your tag to stay gold you will need to buy a subscription via credit card or with a prepaid time card purchased at a local retailer. Once your tag is removed from the family pack it may go silver until you put a subscription on it.

Sorry this didn't help.

You could simply remove yourself from the family pack and then add the time to your account. Sign onto her account and remove the tag you wish to add time to and then you should be able to do what your wanting. This does mean however that you will no longer be in the Family pack and will have to be re-added if you choose to use that method again. Everyone else in the family pack will go silver if the time is up. The family pack should be tied to a credit card so if it is set for auto renewal then it will automatically pull the amount.

Error: This option is restricted to the primary member of this Gold Family Pack.

This error appears when a secondary account in a Gold Family Pack membership tries to add a credit card or buy Microsoft Points. Secondary family members cannot use credit or debit cards to purchase Microsoft Points. Instead, secondary account members can redeem a prepaid Microsoft Points card (available at retail locations), or the primary member cangive points to secondary members.

Can secondary members use credit cards to purchase Xbox LIVE content?

No. Secondary members cannot add a credit or debit card to their Xbox LIVE account. Only the primary Family Pack member can purchase points, making it easier for a parent to manage their family’s entertainment budget.

Secondary members can redeem Microsoft Points cards (available at retail locations), or the primary member can give points to secondary members.

If a member has other Microsoft services, such as Zune, they can add a credit or debit card to use with that service. To view credit cards on a secondary account, sign into Microsoft Billing and Account Management using the Windows Live ID of the secondary account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I suspect you would need to be removed from the family pack before you can add you own gold membership.

Gaming, something all gamers do, no matter which system they use.

Sorry this didn't help.

Which specific error message did you get? For reference, here's an FAQ regarding family pack errors: support.xbox.com/.../common-gold-family-pack-errors

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes that worked, but it did reset my membership to reflect joining just today when I have been on for about 6 yrs.

Oh well, thanks for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you explain the "adding time" again? Do I sign into her account on the website or on the xbox? And do I perform the steps you mention above in that exact order?

Sorry this didn't help.