need to know if this is possible (custom soundtracks from music device)

I tire of trying to burn blank cds of music and then rip those cds to my xbox360; then manually rename songs, create playlists add songs to playlists, so that I can use custom soundtracks in games.

I have recently heard that some music player devices (such as Microsoft Zune's  and early generation iPods) can be plugged-into the usb port of an xbox360 and custom soundtracks can be accessed that way instead. If that is correct then this would speed-up the process of adding custom soundtracks into my games and I am very interested in purchasing a compatible device. (I'm not interested in simply playing music from the device manually using the Xbox360 Guide Music Player).

Can anyone help me?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Sad to say but you are out of luck. While the console will read music from devices plugged into the USB ports it wont read playlists. Then of course you can only create custom playlists from music stored on the hard drive.

Your only real option, which you don't seem to want to use, is the Guide Music Player. From there you can play all the music stored in a folder. So it would take you a little more time but you could put the playlist tracks into a folder and tell the Xbox to just play that folder alone. 

Nah, listening to music via the guide music player whilst playing isn't what I'm after.

Basically on the wrestling games in order to get custom entrance music I have to burn a blank cd of music, rip that the the 360, rename the songs, create individual playlists for each song, and then rename the playlist. It's such a time consuming process, especially if the 360 starts being selective about not ripping certain songs from the disc etc.

I was hoping I could set-up the playlists on the zune/ipod classic when plugged into the PC, then put that into the 360's USB port and have the playlists magically recognized by the wrestling games as custom soundtracks so that i could use them as entrance themes.

[quote user="ksdixon"]I was hoping I could set-up the playlists on the zune/ipod classic when plugged into the PC, then put that into the 360's USB port and have the playlists magically recognized by the wrestling games as custom soundtracks so that i could use them as entrance themes.[/quote]That would be a nice function but it simply isn't possible at this time.

It seems to be a bit of an oversight given that some games have a playlist feature. 

Such a shame, but I guess I no longer have to find the money to purchase a zune or ipod classic. I couldn't beleive that zunes were £40-£100 on amazon.co.uk/ebay.co.uk given that it's a discontinued product by Microsoft. Thanks for clearing it up for me man :)