Need some expert help/advice

So with the Xbox One I'm going to try and go to "One" device.  Right now I basically run 3 devices and have to switch between them by changing the input on the receiver.

• Xbox - Games
  • Satellite - TV (mostly for sports)
  • HTPC - (Streaming video from my NAS through XBMC)
So the XBone can allow me to amalgamate the Satellite into the Xbox, which is great.  So my next step is finding the best way to stream files from my NAS to the Xbox; allowing me to truly have One device.
So here is where i needs some expert advice... what is the BEST way to stream content to the Xbox?  
  • Ideally I would like to control the streaming by using a tablet or phone (and not have the stream actually go through the mobile device.. just "direct" the stream from the NAS to the Xbox).  This is actually the most important part, the tablet/phone would act more as a "remote" than anything.
  • I can run whatever accomplishes this the best.  I have server that I can run whatever is needed, Media Center, Home Server, Server Essentials, etc
  • My NAS is simply the storage where the files are located, but it also can run software (QNAP NAS)
  • If it behaved similar to XBMC or Plex that would be good (Nice interface, pulls in metadata for the video files)
  • Currently have an Android and Windows Phone.  I am currently in the market for a tablet and this simple task will drive my purchase.
All help is appreciated!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

You may get help here (I have no idea what to tell you), but posting in the AV / Hardware forum may net you better results.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/135.aspx

Its not going to work they way you think it will, if you have a dvr your still going to need the remote, all the one is going to allow you to do is change the channel. To record, switch inputs etc... you still need your remotes, I think its pretty much useless what M$ is doing with the passthrough.

Streaming from your HTPC might not be so easy either since they've removed the Media Center Extender capabilities from the Xbox One. Hopefully they'll have something to replace it, but right now it's not looking too good for those that stream video over their networks.

[quote user="beachbum RIZ"]

Its not going to work they way you think it will, if you have a dvr your still going to need the remote, all the one is going to allow you to do is change the channel. To record, switch inputs etc... you still need your remotes, I think its pretty much useless what M$ is doing with the passthrough.

[/quote]

The kinect also doubles as an IR blaster...  this would mean the Kinect and the XB1 have a learn feature... if your cable is connected with the pass through... and the Kinect can learn the record DVR command.. I see no reason as to why you cannot issue a command for the DVR...

Also  Beach.. do you have ANYTHING to say positive about the XB1??  seriously... Get a life brah.... move on... go outside..  or just in fact grow the F up...

@tohell

Where is the proof that it can learn remote commands, just because it has an ir blaster does not mean it can do that. The command to record comes directly from the dvr, I doubt you can issue a command through an hdmi pass through. I will probably eventually get an X1, I don't know when though, I don't hate the X1 (just kinect). The X1 has killer instinct which I'm very interested in and the dashboard seems pretty cool. As far as the games, DR3 looks cool although I can pass on it. Titan fall is not an exclusive, I always liked the forza franchise over GT franchise, I prefer the 360 controller over the DS3, although through reviews, they said the ds4 is on par with the xbones, so thats a toss up now. I can't think of anything else, but I got a few.  

[quote user="beachbum RIZ"]

@tohell

Where is the proof that it can learn remote commands, just because it has an ir blaster does not mean it can do that. 

[/quote]

I would hope it could considering that's pretty old technology that even a cheap universal remote can handle.

The guy asked for some advice, not biased rants about what Microsoft are doing with the Xbox One

@Lestat

Just because its old tech that any one can do does not mean they are going to do it, there are legal walls that they may have to over come in order to control the box. You have to understand, what cable company is going to let M$ control their box? You think comcast is happy that M$ has a pass through, that cuts them out? Its like putting a turbo in your brand new 458, yea it makes it faster, but Ferrari hates you for it.  

do 'splain to me lucy what an IR blaster does?

Ok, well if this were true, and the kinect could take remote commands, M$ would have told us this fact, so please Tohellnbak, find the article that proves that the kinect could do these things